Layered with hearty potatoes, tender chunks of chicken, cheese and a smoky cream sauce this casserole is both delicious and satisfying. The crispy topping makes it all the more wonderful. You can assemble it in about 15 minutes time, then it bakes in the oven for 45 minutes. That’s a pretty easy way to solve the dinnertime dilemma, yes? You could even assemble it in the morning, refrigerate and then bake it for dinner. I would plan to cook it a little bit longer if it has been chilled.
Hope some of you get a chance to try it out!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grab a (28 ounce) package of Diced Potatoes with Onions and Peppers (otherwise known as O’Brien Hash Browns). Pop them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. You don’t want to add them to the other ingredients while they are still frozen. Once they have thawed, pour them into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add 3 C chicken, cooked and cubed. (I used pre-cooked, grilled chicken strips from Costco). Add 1/2 C chopped green onion, 1 C shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tsp seasoned salt and a bit of salt and pepper. Give it a stir to combine.
4. Into a small mixing bowl place 2 (10.5 ounce) cans of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 C sour cream, 1/2 C water, 3/4 C milk, 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules and 1 tsp smoked paprika. Whisk it together to combine.
5. Pour the sauce over the potato/chicken mixture and stir it well to combine.
6. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and spread the mixture out evenly over the pan.
7. Sprinkle 1 C grated cheddar cheese over the top.
8. Place 30 Ritz Crackers into a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Crush them into crumbs with a rolling-pin. Sprinkle them over the cheese.
9. Cover the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the crumbs and cheese are golden brown.
10. Allow it to sit on the counter for 10 minutes, then dig in and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!