I have a super healthy, super yummy recipe to share with you all today. It’s Halloween Week, as you know and chocolate candy bars are lurking around every corner of my life, and most likely yours as well. What can be done to counteract this kind of situation. I ask you? What. Can be done.
Make this tasty casserole, my friends. It will fill you up with the nutrient rich goodness found in quinoa, chicken, black beans and avocado. The sauce is super flavorful and packs a fabulous Mexican flavor. My kids loved it (even my little boys!), MyHandsomeHusband loved it…I loved it. I’m excited to make it again!
Hope some of you get a chance to give it a try!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Pour 1 cup quinoa into a medium-sized sauce pan.
2. Add 2 cups of hot water and 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules. Bring it to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover the pot and allow it to cook until tender. Should only take 7-10 minutes.
Fluff it up a bit with a fork and give it a taste to make sure it’s nice and soft.
3. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
4. Into a large mixing bowl place the quinoa, 1 small can green chilis, 1 (15 ounce) can corn (drained), 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained), 2 Tb chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 C cheddar cheese, 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, 2 C cooked chicken (chopped) and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Pour 1 (10 ounce) can of enchilada sauce (I used mild) and 2 Tb salsa over the other ingredients.
Stir to combine.
5. Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the filling into it.
Sprinkle 1/4 C mozzarella cheese and 1/4 C cheddar cheese over the top.
6. Pop it into the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese gets all melty and bubbly.
7. Chop 1 tomato and 1 avocado into small pieces and sprinkle them over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle 1-2 tsp chopped cilantro over it as well.
Serve and enjoy! Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious