Alright all you football fans out there! This is the cake for you. I have to apologise that the picture isn’t better than this! I made this cake a couple of years ago for one of my twin boys birthdays. My food photography skills were lacking indeed. But, I remembered that I had this picture and thought you might enjoy having the recipe this weekend. It is EXTREAMLY EASY. That’s something to be excited about!
Chocolate Football Cake
1 box Devils Food Cake Mix + ingredients to make the cake
1-2 jars chocolate frosting (depending on how much you like)
1 jar vanilla frosting (you will only use a little bit)
1 C flaked coconut
2 drops food coloring
1. Make the cake batter according to the directions on the back of the box.
2. Bake the cake according to directions in two 9 inch round pans.
3. Let the cake cool.
4. Cut a 2 inch strip out of the center of each cake round.
5. Place a T of chocolate frosting in the center of your serving plate.
6. Put one of the cake layers on top the frosting. You should have two halves of a football for each layer. Just slide the halves together to make the football shape. Frost the top of the bottom layer, then place the top layer over the bottom layer.
7. Frost the sides and top.
8. Put about 1/2 C vanilla frosting in a small Ziploc bag. Cut the tip of the bag about 1/2 an inch long. Pipe the white straps onto the football.
9. Place the coconut and food coloring in a small bowl and mix it around with a spoon until it turns green.
10. Put the grass (coconut) all around the football.
****TIP**** Cake is much easier to handle and frost if it has been frozen. When I am making a decorative cake I usually make the cake portion a day ahead. After it has cooled I wrap each part in tin foil and freeze it overnight. Then the next day I am ready to decorate. ****TIP****
I’ll let you in on a little secret. Three of my children have the same birthday. Go figure!
Triple Birthday Combo, 2008 at Bear Lake