Chocolate Waffles, dripping with homemade strawberry jam and adorned with a dollop of whip cream. Chocolaty richness in every bite. This recipe comes from The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook.
These Chocolate Waffles are WONDERFUL!!!! My family was thrilled beyond belief when I served them up for breakfast. Some ate them with maple syrup, some with strawberry jam, some just ate them plain. Take your pick. They are good as can be and would make a wonderful holiday breakfast.
Time: 30 minutes
Yeild: 14 waffles
2 C flour
1 T baking powder
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
2 C milk
4 large eggs, separated
4 T canola oil
1. Combine the baking powder, flour and cocoa in a mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, egg yolks and oil. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. It shouldn’t take long, only about 3 minutes.
4. Fold the egg whites into your chocolaty batter.
5. Stir in your chocolate chips and you are ready to roll.
6. Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray and cook until done.
Serve with maple syrup, or strawberry jam.