To enter the Lawry’s Seasoning
and Bakeware Giveaway click here.
Winner will be announced on Friday morning.
Well my blog reading friends.
I have a little question for you today.
Here. It comes.
How many of you Moms and Dads have seen a
face like this recently….
A face that says….
“Mom, could I?”
“Could I, pweety pwease?”
“Just pwease could I have another piece?”
“I’ll be such a nice boy for the west of my whole wife! Just one more piece of candy, Mom. I’ve only had seven bajillion today so far.
What do you say….
Could someone please come to my house
of every single piece!
We (and I seriously mean “we”) cannot be trusted with so many pieces of candy lurking around, every where we turn.
We (ok, mostly me…) do not do well left to our own devices.
Please come and take them all!
Every sugary sweet.
Every calorie laden, diet busting piece!
Now, let’s talk about Spanish Rice.
This flavorful, fabulously easy rice has no sugar added.
Chocolate is not required.
It would be wonderful with the Burrito Casserole I posted earlier this week. Or with any Mexican Dish, for that matter.
This delicious rice is made from scratch.
The flavor is pretty mild, with just a little bit of a kick.
A couple of weeks ago I tried making
it with a diced jalapeno pepper….
It was a very fire like,
kid choking and coughing,
pass the water,
kind of experience.
Not a keeper.
Last night I made it with just a pinch of red pepper flakes, and it really did the trick. Just enough kick to add some fun, with out all of the kid choking and eye watering.
Now, you all know I love a good mix.
I have a real affection for my handy dandy seasoning packets.
But sometimes, there just aren’t any on the premises.
Rice a Roni and I have actually been taking a little break
from one another,
so to speak.
I haven’t really missed her!
I have found that making flavorful rice from scratch is really
Easy is something we can all appreciate, isn’t it?
Let’s do it….
Simple Spanish Rice
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 7 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
2 T butter
1/2 a green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 a yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chop them nice and fine
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1 1/2 C white rice
3 C hot water
3 t beef bullion
2 T chopped cilantro (optional, but very tasty!)
1 T butter
salt and pepper
1. Heat up a large skillet and melt the 2 T butter. Throw those finely chopped veggies right on in. Season them with a bit of salt and pepper. Add your red pepper flakes….careful here. They can add a lot of heat with just a bit, so add with caution. Let the veggies cook over medium high heat until the onions start to wilt. This should take about 5 minutes.
2. Add your rice. Let it cook in until it gets nice and golden brown. About another 5 minutes. You’ll want to stir it every minute or so, so it doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
3. Pour in your water and beef bullion. Stir it all around. Let the mixture come to a boil. Cover the pan and turn the heat to medium low. Let it simmer away for about 15 minutes, or until the liquid has all been soaked up and the rice is tender.
4. Add 1 more T of butter. Stir it around to incorporate. Taste it and add more salt and pepper as needed.
5. If you have some cilantro, now is the time to chop it up and add it to the rice. Stir it all around and serve!