When I got married some 17 odd years ago, I was given this lovely trifle dish as a gift. Inside it were several recipes for trifle and a little note from the giver of the gift.
Would you like to know what it said?
I thought you might.
You are just so nice and attentive like that.
Here it is…
“Making trifle is a really easy way to make
everyone think you are a gourmet cook.”
As a newly married lady with zero cooking experience…
I was all over the idea of making an easy recipe that looked beautiful and tasted great. This Chocolate Toffee Trifle is just that, my friends. It’s as easy as baking up a cake mix, whipping up some instant pudding, and smoothing luscious layers one on top of the other.
I can’t even count the number of times I have made this dessert. It is always received with
“you must be the most wonderful gourmet cook walking the planetttttttttt”.
Want to see how it’s done?
Come right along then, let’s do it!
Chocolate Toffee Trifle
Time: 30 minutes prep, 40 minutes baking, 1 hour cooling,
3 hours chilling
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe from Deb Hutcheson
1 devils food cake mix + ingredients to make the cake
1 large (6 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
3 C milk
1 8 ounce bag toffee pieces
1 12 ounce container cool whip
1. Bake the cake according to package directions. Let it cool completely.
2. While your cake is cooling, beat the pudding with 3 C of milk until thick, should take about 3 minutes.
3. Chop up your cake into crumbs with a spatula.
4. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cake crumbs in the bottom of a trifle dish.
5. Spread 1/3 of the pudding over the top of the cake.
6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the toffee over the pudding.
7. Spread 1/3 of the cool whip over the toffee and
drizzle some Hershey’s syrup over the top.
Just like this.
8. Repeat the layers twice more.
9. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, and up to twelve.