Do you ever wonder, wonder who. Who wrote the book of love?
I think I’m pretty sure I know. No need to wonder.
It must have been someone who baked a heavenly pan of gooey cheese rolls and instantly fell madly in love with the magical aroma coming from the oven, the gooey cheese bubbling up from the rolls and the divine buttery goodness melting in their mouth. Which had a lot to do with why they ate another and another…and since their mouth was understandably full of heavenly bliss and they couldn’t utter a word…
they just had to write it.
The Book Of Love, that is.
The Book Of Magical Cheesy Bread Love.
Which I like to read on a regular, cheesy basis.
These fabulous rolls come together quickly. I used the dough recipe from the Quick and Easy Breadsticks recipe I posted a couple of years ago, then layered the dough with three kinds of cheese, some tasty seasonings and dried herbs I found in my pantry. I rolled them up (sweet roll style), cut them and then baked them. The result is fabulous! They would be a wonderful companion to Italian Tortellini Soup, Lasagna Casserole or even Hearty Spaghetti. Hope you enjoy them as much as we have. 🙂
Gooey Cheese and Garlic Rolls
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 24 little rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
1 1/2 C warm water
1 T yeast (I use active dry)
1 T sugar
3 1/2-4 C flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 C butter, melted
CHEESE AND HERB TOPPING:
2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 C parmesan cheese, grated
1 t granulated garlic
1/2 t oregano
1 t italian seasoning
1/2 t thyme
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. Mix the water, sugar and yeast together in a measuring cup or in the bottom of your mixer. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt and the flour, one cup at a time, until it is well incorporated. Mix on high for 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
3. Melt the butter and pour half of it into a jelly roll pan (large cookie sheet).
4. Place the dough in the center of the pan. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Letting the dough rest makes it MUCH easier to shape.
5. Spread the dough out flat onto the pan until it reaches all of the edges. Doing all of the spreading and cutting of these bread sticks, in the pan makes cleaning up your counter so much easier!
6. Once the dough is spread out, cut in half with a pizza cutter.
7. Pour the rest of the melted butter over each half of the dough
and spread it around with your hands so that it evenly covers the dough.
8. Combine 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon italian seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon thyme together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the seasonings evenly all over the top of the buttery dough.
9. Sprinkle the shredded cheeses over the top.
10. Roll each dough half up, starring with the long end of each.
Don’t they look lovely?
11. Take a sharp knife and cup each roll into 12 small pinwheels.
12. Lay each roll flat along the cookie sheet. Pop the pan into your warm oven and let the rolls rise for about 5-10 minutes. Turn your oven up to 350 degrees (leaving the rolls inside, please. They will continue to rise a bit as the oven temperature rises.) Once your oven has reached 350 degrees the rolls should cook for about 10 minutes, or until the tops and bottoms are golden brown.
13. Remove the pan from the heat and let the rolls rest on the pan for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!