Ladies and gentlemen, this salad is fabulous! My sister-in-law Mary came up with the recipe combining a flavorful assortment of vegetables soaked in greek yogurt and dill, spring mix, feta cheese, tender chunks of chicken and the amazing pink dressing we generally use for this salad from my archives. The combination of the salty cheese, and dill with the sweet dressing is down right amazing.
You could make it for dinner. (I have to admit, my kids weren’t totally in love with it. However, MyHandsomeHusband and I were happy to hear it. More salad for us, you know. It’s more of an adult pleasing meal).
You could make it for a party.
Whip it up for a ladies luncheon.
Serve it to your best friend if he or she is feeling down. 🙂
Now, let’s make it!
GREEK SALAD WITH CHOPPED CHICKEN
Time: 30 minutes prep
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe from my talented sister-in-law Mary Ehrhart
***NOTE: Olives and red onion would also be awesome in this salad.***
1 large english cucumber
10 mini sweet peppers
2-3 large tomatoes (or 7-8 small ones)
1/2 C plain greek yogurt
1 tsp dill
1/2 tsp lemon juice (bottled is fine)
salt and pepper
1 (5 ounce bag) spring mix lettuce
2 grilled chicken breasts (or rotisserie chicken)
1 C feta cheese
1/4 C red onion
1 C sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1 C canola oil
1. Grab some beautiful mini peppers, tomatoes and an english cucumber.
Cut the top and bottom ends from the cucumber and then slice it in half, length wise. Cut each half into three thin strips…
and chop the strips into small chunks.
Slice the top off the top of each tomato…
and then chop each one into small chunks.
2. To the vegetables add 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 1/2 teaspoons dill, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper.
Give it a nice stir, cover and pop it into the fridge while you make the dressing.
3. Into your blender place 1/2 cup red wine vinegar.
4. Add 1/4 C chopped red onion, 1 C sugar, 2 teaspoons dry mustard and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend it all together.
5. Add 1 cup canola or vegetable oil, just a little bit at a time, blending after each addition.
6. You need two grilled chicken breasts. A rotisserie chicken would also work well. I am in love with this awesome Mesquite Grilled chicken I found at Sam’s Club. (I still love Costco and am not switching teams here. But the Costco closest to my home is so overcrowded it’s been known to give this girl heart palpitations. Seriously, I break out in a cold sweat when I think about going there! It’s like black friday, every day of the week. Truly. I just can’t take it.) Anyhow, I have found that Sam’s has a lot of great things. This frozen chicken is great to keep on hand for salads, or to throw in a tortilla.
If your grilled chicken is frozen, place it on a plate and then cover it with a second plate. Pop it into the microwave for 2 minutes. It should be nice and juicy for you. Chop it into some lovely chunks.
7. Grab some spring mix lettuce and lay it out on a pretty platter.
Lay the chopped chicken over the greens.
Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top…
and sprinkle with 1 cup feta cheese.
8. Just before you serve it pour the beautiful pink dressing over the top. Serve immediately.