This fabulous Cheesy Ham, Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is comfort food at it’s best. It’s packed with flavor, creamy in texture, is super easy to put together and makes great use of leftover ham and chicken (rotisserie chicken would work great).
I was taking pictures of this yummy casserole when my kids came home from school yesterday. They came close to eating the entire pan before I had a chance to save a plate for MyHandsomeHusband. School can make a person famished beyond belief, you know. Famished, starving and aching with hunger.
At least…that’s what my kids told me while they were putting this casserole away like it was their day job.
Comforting Casserole + House of Hungry Teenagers = Happy Mama.
1. Grab 2 boxes of Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice.
Pour the rice, and the seasoning packets from the box into a large deep skillet. Place 2 tablespoons butter and 3 1/3 cups of water into the skillet. Give it a nice stir.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the rice to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and fluff the rice up with a fork.
4. Spray a 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and spread the cooked rice out over the bottom of the dish.
5. In a small mixing bowl place 2 cans cream of chicken soup and 1 1/2 cups milk.
6. Add 2 cups Colby jack cheese and 1/4 teaspoons pepper to the milky cream mixture…
and stir it well to combine.
7. Over the top of the rice sprinkle 1 1/2 cups chopped ham and 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken. Rotisserie chicken would work out great.
8. Pour the creamy mixture over the rice, ham and chicken. Stir it around so that all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
9. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over the top.
10. Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until the top is crispy and golden.
11. Allow the pan to sit on the counter for about 10 minutes, it will continue to thicken up a bit for you as it sits.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home