Chili is such a great fall and winter favorite, am I right?
I have a couple of great chili recipes living and breathing on this site. Triple Bean Chili is loaded with ground beef, three kinds of beans and is packed with classic chili flavor. Creamy White Chicken Chili can be made in the crock pot (love that) and is hearty, creamy and satisfying. Both of these show up frequently in my cool weather menu rotations. Love them both, we truly do.
Today, I have a chili to share with you that is new and a little different. BBQ Chicken Chili has a great smokey flavor and is loaded with shredded chicken and two kinds of beans. BBQ sauce is added just at the end of the cooking process giving it a tangy sweet kick that is just fabulous. Top it with cheddar cheese, fresh cilantro and green onions and you have a chili worth talking about.
Or writing about, pinning about, or facebooking about. What ever your means of communication might be. 🙂
Now, let me show you how to make it happen.
BBQ CHICKEN CHILI
Time: 45 minutes, start to finish
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
3 (14.5 ounce) Mexican stewed tomatoes
3 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 C water + 4 tsp chicken bullion
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (4 ounce) can green chilis, undrained
1 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sugar
3/4 C Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
1 Tb butter
salt and pepper
1. Grab 3 cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes.
Pour them (undrained) into a large soup pot. Blend them up with an immersion blender, if you’ve got one. If not just blend them in your stand blender and then pour them into the pot.
2. Add 3 chicken breasts.
3. Mix 4 cups warm water with 4 teaspoon chicken bullion and pour it into the pot.
4. Grab a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can find this little treasure in your regular grocery store on the Mexican food aisle.
Take one of the peppers out of the jar and chop it into tiny pieces. Now, these peppers pack quite a lot of heat and will add a nice smokey flavor to the chili. If you are worried about it being too hot you can leave it out. If you are ready for a little kick then add 1 teaspoon of the chopped chipotle peppers to the soup pot.
5. Chop the remaining chipotle peppers up and place them in a freezer safe bag and pop them in the freezer for another time. When you are ready to use some, just break off a small piece and return the bag to the freezer.
6. Bring the soup pot to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and let the ingredients simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.
7. Remove the chicken to a plate…
and shred it with two forks. Return it to the soup pot.
8. Drain and rinse 2 cans of black beans and 2 cans of kidney beans. Add them to the pot along with 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon sugar. Give it a nice stir to combine.
9. Add 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce and 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir it in and give the soup a taste. Add salt and pepper to your liking. It will need quite a bit.
10. Let the soup simmer for 10 minutes more and then serve.
Sprinkle cheddar cheese, cilantro and green onions on the top and serve it with tortilla chips.