Soft Frosted Banana Bread Cookies

Soft Frosted Banana Bread Cookies
Pocket

These Soft Frosted Banana Bread Cookies are delightful, truly. They taste a lot like a heavenly bite of banana bread with the addition of a smooth brown sugar frosting spread on top. They taste even better the second day, will make good use of any spotted bananas you have lying around and  just might qualify as my new favorite cookie. I have to admit to making the twice in the past week, I enjoy them so much.

Hope you love them!

Soft Frosted Banana Bread Cookies Jamie Cooks It Up!

Soft Frosted Banana Bread Cookies

FROSTING:
1/2 C butter
6 Tb brown sugar
4 Tb milk
3 1/4 C powdered sugar

IMG_3765_edited-1

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream 3/4 C butter flavored shortening and 3/4 C sugar together in your stand mixer or large mixing bowl. Add 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla and beat it for an additional 2 minutes.

IMG_3763_edited-1

3. Grab a couple of bananas. You’ll want to use bananas that have brown spots all over them. Brown spotted bananas are super ripe and very sweet.

IMG_3766_edited-1

Peel the bananas and mash them. You’ll need 1 C total. Add them to the mixing bowl and beat to combine.

IMG_3767_edited-1

4. Into a small mixing bowl combine 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda and 2 C flour.

IMG_3768_edited-1

5. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix until combined. The dough will be sticky and slightly thick.

IMG_3770_edited-1

6. Spray the inside of a kitchen scoop with cooking spray.

IMG_3771_edited-1

Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray as well and scoop the dough out onto it.

IMG_3773_edited-1

7. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown along the bottoms. Remove them to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.

IMG_3772_edited-1

8. Make the frosting while the cookies are baking. Place 1/2 C butter, 6 Tb brown sugar and 4 Tb milk into a medium-sized sauce pan. Melt them together on the stove top.

IMG_3776_edited-1

9. Pour 3 1/4 C powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla and dash of salt  into the melted ingredients and whisk it well to combine. Let the frosting sit for about 10 minutes. It will continue to thicken as it cools down.

IMG_3777_edited-2

10. Frost each cookie.

IMG_3797_edited-1

Enjoy! These little cookies are even better the next day.

Active Instagram 3 icon Follow me on Instagram at jamiecooksitup_ or by clicking here.

Jen
    January 23, 2015 at 7:41 am

I have shortening and I have butter, but I don’t have butter flavored shortening! What would you recommend I use?

January 24, 2015 at 7:55 am

Jen,
      I would suggest sticking with the shortening on this one. Best of luck!

Lisa
      January 25, 2020 at 11:40 am

I just made them with regular shortening and they turned out great! Going to try adding raisins next time.

talia
    January 23, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Can I substitute butter for the butter flavored shortening?

Hoping to make this weekend. They look amazing!

January 24, 2015 at 7:54 am

Talia,
      I haven’t ever tried it with butter, I would imagine it would work out…but the cookies won’t puff up quite as much. Best of luck to you!

Erin
        February 3, 2019 at 9:00 am

Butter works just fine.

Janice Huber
        January 15, 2020 at 5:57 pm

can I use Almond flour

Jade
    January 24, 2015 at 11:56 am

I just made these! I only had regular shortening and they turned out great! So yummy! That frosting is delicious! I’m trying to figure out what else to put it on!!

Jackie
    January 31, 2015 at 10:03 am

I made these last night for a family get-together and they went very quickly. Everyone loved them! Great recipe :-).

Lori
    November 21, 2015 at 9:46 pm

I made these the other day and didn’t have the butter flavored shortening so I used regular shortening and added a splash of butter extract. They turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’m making it again for a family gathering and doubling the recipe!

September 18, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Just made this recipe as directed. These cookies are amazing!

September 20, 2016 at 7:05 am

Diane,
      So happy you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know.
      Best,

Jana
    December 18, 2017 at 2:23 pm

I made these but used coconut oil and coconut sugar they were amazing ?

Phyllis
    February 19, 2018 at 8:55 am

I had some bananas that I didn’t know what I wanted to do with them. I looked on Pinterest and found this recipe for your banana cookies. So glad I made them. I only had regular shortening but they still turned out great. Everybody loves them. These are definitely on my list of favorites. Thanks for sharing.

March 26, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Wow!! These turned out so delicious. My family loved these. Can’t wait for the next batch of bananas to go bad.

March 28, 2018 at 7:39 am

Leslie,
      So happy your family enjoyed this recipe. Thanks for letting me know.
      Best,

Courtney taylor
    September 23, 2018 at 4:12 pm

What kinda soda do I use? Like Coca-Cola or soda water?

September 28, 2018 at 9:34 am

Courtney,
      The soda reference in this recipe refers to baking soda. Best of luck!

Aimee
    May 25, 2019 at 6:21 pm

I tried with regular shortening and no frosting. Just lovely!

Carly
    December 19, 2019 at 9:07 pm

I made these tonight for a Christmas Cookie Exchange at work tomorrow. I tweaked the recipe a bit though. I roasted my bananas in the oven for about 20 mins (peels on) so they would get extra caramelized and gooey. Then I made browned butter for the frosting, and added approximately 2 Tbsp of real maple syrup. I just have to say, they are utterly amazing! I can’t wait to taste them tomorrow! I’m thinking next time I’ll add some walnuts and maybe even some chocolate chips (mini ones so they don’t sink to the bottom of the cookie!). YUM!

Liza
      May 6, 2020 at 3:25 pm

The banana roasting sounds so good! You have great ideas for thus cookie. I can’t wait to bake them.

January 18, 2020 at 12:08 pm

what is the alternative if you don’t have br sugar for the frosting?

Janice Riley
    January 19, 2020 at 9:37 am

Can cookies be frozen and for how long?

Janelle
    January 20, 2020 at 10:12 am

Can these cookies be frozen

Judy Gordon
    January 20, 2020 at 10:27 am

I made them on Saturday. Used REAL Butter instead of shortening…Delish

January 20, 2020 at 2:45 pm

The cookies were great but my frosting was dry and crumbly after it cooled a bit making it hard to spread. The frosting was a dark tan, not creamy off white like your photo shows. Any suggestions?

Sarah
      January 20, 2020 at 6:19 pm

My frosting was crumbly too ? What did I do wrong ?

Leslie
        January 23, 2020 at 9:59 am

I think you may have had to much powdered sugar. I just added it until it was of creamy spreading consistency. Another thing if you measure it like regular sugar, it’s a lot. I think your supposed to measure it like cocoa, spoon it into measuring cup instead of scooping it. I think iread that in one of my cookbooks. I hope this helps. The cookies are delicious!!!

Cindy
    January 23, 2020 at 8:48 am

I just made these cookies and they turned out flat as pancakes – not sure what went wrong. Frosting overpowers flavor of the cookie. Not one I’ll try again soon.

January 27, 2020 at 9:43 am

Would Margarine work in the Frostede Banana Bread Cookie recipe

Felicia
      January 29, 2020 at 8:51 pm

I made the frosting with margarine and soy milk and it turned out great! I also found I only had about 2.5C powdered sugar left after I had everything else in the pan, so I removed about 2T of the margarine, and it was still amazing. And I had more than enough for the cookies (also amazing!), so we’ve been using the extra as a dip for apples and strawberries…I highly recommend trying it!

christine Berger
    January 30, 2020 at 1:42 pm

I made these today and they are amazing!My granddaughters loved them I will be making these again.I highly recommend trying them

Amber
    April 17, 2020 at 3:24 pm

My frosting was a brown glaze but they turned out amazing..def my new favorite cookie!!

April 29, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Best cookie ever! I could eat the frosting with a spoon! I only used 3 cups of powdered sugar. I found it became more difficult to spread as it cooled, so I set the pan of frosting in a warm spot on top of my stove until I was finished frosting all the cookies.

JustJesse
    May 12, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Just made these lovely cookies. I did tweak a bit…used half reg. shortening and half butter (didn’t have butter flavored shortening and wanted that butter flav). I also added PB & Choc. Chips. Absolutely delish! I didn’t frost them all as I thought they’d be too sweet, but they were actually perfect…the cake-like texture worked well with the frosting. I agree with what others commented in that they are very ‘muffin top-ish’ but are super yummy!