Today is National Chocolate Mint Day. I bet you knew that. I suppose it was already circled on your calendar with a bright pink highlighter, yes? Who could blame you, Chocolate and Mint are two of my very favorite combinations as well. I have to say these wonderful cookies I brought to share with you today are my new favorite way to combine the two. A rich chewy cookie loaded with chocolate and mint is baked and then topped with an Andes mint while still warm. The mint melts and is spread out over each cookie for an over the top, fabulous chocolate mint cookie of wonder. Which is what you were hoping for, I suppose. 🙂
I have teamed up this year with 9 Utah Food bloggers to Celebrate Food in 2015. Every month we will be highlighting one national food holiday together by creating and posting a recipe and linking to each others posts. Take a look at what these wonderful ladies have done with Chocolate and Mint…
That is one boat load of fabulousness! I am happy to be participating with these gals. You can find these marvelous recipes (starting from the top left corner) at the following links…
1. Chocolate Mint Macarons from Ashlee Marie
2. Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies from Creations by Kara
3. Copy Cat Thin Mints from Like Mother Like Daughter
4. Mint Chocolate Krispie Treats from Butter with a side of Bread
5. Chocolate Mint Layered Smoothie from Happy Food Healthy Life
6. Mint Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding from Tried and Tasty
7. Mint Brownies from Cupcake Diaries
8. Double Chocolate Mint Cookies from Jamie Cooks It Up! (yours truly)
9. Peppermint Fudge from Summer Scraps
10. Mint Chocolate Chip Brownie Sunday Bars from Real Mom Kitchen
You can also follow the fun each month on instagram at #celebratingfood2015.
Now, on to the recipe for Double Chocolate Mint Cookies…
Double Chocolate Mint Cookies
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 24 Cookies
Recipe adapted from these Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
1/2 C butter flavored shortening
1 C sugar
1 tsp mint extract
1/4 C milk
1 3/4 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 C milk chocolate chips
1 C white chocolate chips
2 (4.62 ounce) boxes Andes Mint Chocolates
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl, place 1/2 cup shortening and 1 cup sugar. Beat until well combined (about 2 minutes). Add 1 egg, 1 teaspoon mint extract and 1/4 cup milk. Mix until smooth.
3. In a separate small mixing bowl combine 1 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix just until combined.
4. Add 1 C milk chocolate chips and 1 C white chocolate chips. Mix to combine.
5. Roll the dough into 2 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until the tops are cracked.
6. While the cookies bake, grab 2 boxes of Andes Mints and unwrap them.
8. When the tops of the cookies have cracked, pull the pan out of the oven…
and place 2 mints on top.
9. Pop the pan back into the oven for 1 minute.
10. Remove the pan from the oven and spread the melted mint over the top of each cookie.
Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool. The chocolate will start to harden up after about an hour. You can wait until then to enjoy these little treasures, or dig in when they are warm and wonderful.
Here are a few more Chocolate Mint recipe from my archives.
Happy Chocolate Mint Day! 🙂