Pepperoni Pizza Rolls

Pepperoni Pizza Rolls

This is a fabulous recipe I have played with for a long time. I think I finally have it mastered. I never take these anywhere that I’m not asked for the recipe. They are super delicious, and best just out of the oven. However, I always freeze some in gallon zip lock bags. Then I send them in my kids lunches. They love it. It will beat the same old PBandJ sandwich any day of the week. They are also fabulous for a party appetizer. You could easily make them in the morning, pop them in the fridge, and then bake them just before your party, so they are piping hot when your guests arrive.
Happy Making!
Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 small loaves, about 30 pieces once they are cut up
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Dough:
1 T shortening
2 T sugar
1 T salt
1 C hot boiling water
1 C cold water
1/3 C lukewarm water
1 T yeast
4-5 C flour
Filling:
2 pkg pepperoni
6 C grated cheese, a combination of cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan work well together.
Topping:
1 egg whisked until frothy
McCormick’s “Italian Herb Seasoning Grinder”
1. To make the dough, fill a Pyrex measuring cup with 1 C hot water from the tap, then place it in the microwave and heat it for 2 minutes. This will get it boiling.
2. In a separate cup dissolve the yeast in 1/3 C warm water. It doesn’t need to start to bubble up here, just to dissolve.
3. In your Kitchen Aid or Bosch Mixer mash the sugar, salt and shortening together with a fork. You want it to be well incorporated.
4. Pour the hot water over the shortening mixture. Then pour the cold water over it. Finally, pour the yeast/water mixture in.
5. Add the flour 1 C at a time, while mixing.
You can make this recipe with out a stand mixer, however you will need to knead the dough by hand for quite some time. At least 10-12 minutes. (Sounds like an arm buster doesn’t it!)
6. Once you have enough flour, let it mix for about 8 minutes. The dough should have a nice elasticity to it.
7. After the dough has mixed enough, separate it into 6 equal parts and let it rest for 5 minutes on a sprayed cookie sheet.
8. Spread each piece of dough out into a rectangle. You can see from the picture, they don’t need to be a perfect rectangle. Who wants to try and be perfect? Not me.
9. Lay out some of the pepperoni.
10. Sprinkle about 1 C worth of cheese over the top.
11. Roll it up!
12. Be the dough gets wrapped around it well.
13. Place the seam side down and tuck in the edges.
14. Whisk your egg up until it is frothy like this.
15. Spray a knife with cooking spray and then cut some slits in the top of each little loaf.
16. Slather the egg wash all over the tops and sides of the loaves.
17. Grind the seasoning over the top.
18. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, or until the tops are starting to get golden brown. Turn the oven down to 350 and cook for another 8 minutes.
If you have a convection oven, cook at 375 for 7 minutes and then 325 for about 5 minutes.
19. Let the loaves rest for about 5 minutes before you cut into them. Enjoy!
Go to Mommy’s Kitchen for some more great pot luck ideas!

December 26, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Those look and sound delicious!! Yummy! Thanks for sharing-these would be great for New Year's Eve!

December 26, 2009 at 5:25 pm

These are going on the ol grocery list. Can't wait to try them out!!

December 29, 2009 at 1:35 am

Hi Jamie,
    My boys would love these! :)

December 29, 2009 at 3:28 pm

what a great recipe. I am Tricia's sister and I am always looking at your blog and trying out new things from it. This one was a great hit with my family last night. Thanks!!

January 4, 2010 at 5:18 am

Oh looks good!! I found something like this just recently in a cookbook that my sister got for Christmas, but we haven't had time to try it yet. I do have to say yours looks much better!

February 3, 2010 at 4:41 am

This looks so yummy!! Have you tried them with a bunch of veggies? We have picky eaters. I think we'll make these smaller and individualize them.

February 3, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Michelle,
    This recipe makes 6 pretty small rolls. I have indeed tried making them with a little marinera sauce, veggies and mozzerella cheese. My kids love it when I lay out all the topping choices and let them build their own.
    Thanks and have a great day!

February 9, 2010 at 1:56 pm

It's awesome that you put up recipes that newly wed, college kids can make! The ingredients aren't too expensive and it's easy to follow along! My husband thinks I'm a really great cook, thanks to you!! We loved these and it left us plenty of leftovers for lunches!!! Thank you so much!

March 9, 2010 at 7:20 pm

This was a HUGE success with my family!! My hubby loved them the most! Thanks!!!

April 8, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I tried making these but I messed up somehow. When mixing the dough, am I supposed to use my mixer? I did and the dough kept coming up the beaters then I think it got inside. My mixer started making a weird smell and it got hot so I had to stop it. I was hoping the dough would be ready but it was way to sticky. So I ended up with a big blob of dough that I tried to fill anyways and roll. Not sure its gonna turn out. What did I do wrong? Thanks!

April 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Crystal,
    I'm sorry you have had some trouble! Might I ask what kind of mixer you have? Are you using a stand mixer (a Kitchen Aid, or Bosch) or are you trying to use hand held beaters? Hand held beaters would definitely cause a problem with the recipe…they are not strong enough. It you don't have a Kitchen Aid or Bosch you would need to knead it by hand. I hope your mixer isn't dead! Let me know what you have used, and I'll see how I can advise you. I'll be interested to know if they turn out. Sure hope so! I apologize if my instructions were unclear. I appreciate you asking this question so I can make them more user friendly.
    Thanks,

April 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

Thanks for getting back to me! I was using a hand held. I guess I need to upgrade, huh! :) So next time I should knead it by hand? I will try that. I don't think it came out as good as yours did of course, mine was just one big one and so it had to cook a whole lot longer. I will love to try this again though to see if I can get it right next time b/c my husband and sons still liked it! Any suggestions for next time, especially if I hand knead it b/c I don't know how to do that. thanks!

April 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Crystal,
    If you are kneading by hand you won't need quite as much flour. Still add it one cup at a time until the dough isn't very sticky anymore. Then knead away!

Prisca
    July 23, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Hello!
    We're eating these now, and our eyes are staying perpetually round in amazement at how delicious they are!
    It's taken me forever to find a easy and quality dough/pizza dough recipe–I must thank you for sharing. My brothers would leave a comment too, but they're hands and mouths are busy eating away!
    Thanks to you, we have no need to buy hot pockets ever again :]

Mary
    August 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

I make something similar to this but I use the pizza dough that's already made in the deli dept. in the grocery store. Big time saver! And I use salami and provolone. There are so many alternatives…my friend doesn't eat red meat so she uses turkey, provolone, and roasted red peppers. YUM! Yours sounds great too. I will try the pepperoni and mixing the cheeses and compare!

March 10, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Pepperoni Pizza Rolls are delicious, I prepared them at home and the final result is like eating pizza, that's perfect the flavor is incredible.m10m

October 31, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Hi there!
    I made these last night and they were awesome! So yummy. Question though, do you think I can freeze half of the dough for a later time? My husband and I only ate 3 and we were wondering if it was possible to save part of the uncooked dough for a later date?

October 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Anonymous,
    So glad these turned out so well for you. This dough does not freeze well at all, unfortunately. However, once the little loaves have been baked and cooled, they do freeze very well. I sometimes put them in my kids' lunches from the freezer. Thanks! Good luck!

November 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm

these look really yummy. can't wait to try these. they would be great for a football party too.

January 28, 2012 at 3:04 am

Just wondering if you use the dough hook or the paddle on your stand mixer for the dough?