Wonderful Waffles

Wonderful Waffles

Good morning sunshine! Well, actually here in Utah it is snowing buckets full. Who would guess that we are one day away from spring break.
No one, that’s who.
But here it comes regardless.
Break out the coats and gird yourself in snow pants.

These are the wonderful waffles my Mom made for our family for years. I got a big waffle iron for Christmas that will make 4 of these beauties at a time.
Halleluiah, is all I have to say about that.
Making waffles for my crowd 2 at a time can give a girl a headache.
It can also cause a lot of anxiety between siblings.
You can hear it now “…..I get the next one….can I have another one….I really need to have 5 Mom, I am a growing boy…..I always have to wait until last…..I am so HUNGRY!”
You are getting a headache just reading about it, aren’t you!
My apologies.
Just say halleluiah for the large waffle iron.
It will make you feel so much better!
I know I do.

Wonderful Waffles

Yield: 10 waffles
1 3/4 C flour   (2 1/4 C flour if you are using regular milk)
2 C buttermilk (I use regular milk with 1 t vinegar in it)
1/2 t soda
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2  egg yolks, beaten
2 beaten egg whites, whisked until frothy
1/2 C oil
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the milk, oil and egg yolks. Mix together.
3. Add the egg whites and mix, just until combined.
4. Spray a hot waffle iron with cooking spray.
5. Cook waffles until nice and golden brown.
6. Top with maple syrup and serve.

March 31, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I found your blog a couple of weeks ago and I love it! There are so many recipes I have printed out to try. For these waffles, it says beaten egg whites. How beaten do they need to be? Do you need stiff peaks or just mixed up a little? Thanks!

March 31, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Funny thing, my mom made these same waffles and I continue to make them to this day–except I don't beat my yolks and whites at all just throw them in the pot–lazy girl that I am!! I haven't tried vinegar, just lemon juice to sour my milk maybe yours works better? When feeling healthy, I substitute for my wheat flour and the bonus is they are much more filling! Happy WINTER Spring Break!:)

March 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Shelly,
    I just whisk the eggs up until they are frothy. No stiff peaks involved! Glad you are enjoying the recipes and good luck with your wonderful waffles!
    Kristine,
    I'll try them with wheat! Sounds delish.

March 31, 2010 at 8:00 pm

We don't have waffles at our house very often for that exact same reason. It takes so long. Whenever the boys request waffles, I can almost always talk them into pancakes – much quicker!

March 31, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Oh, man, those waffles make me hungry…Now, I'm going to have to go out and get me a waffle maker and some batter and make me a batch! :) Okay, actually I'm quite poor right now, so maybe next paycheck. ;) But I'll definitely consider it. At least, maybe, I'll go to the local Waffle House – which there's like five local Waffle Houses plus an IHOP, so I'll have plenty of opportunity. Hehe…

March 31, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Jamie, have you tried the powdered buttermilk? I never seem to have fresh and used the old lemon juice/milk standby. Since using the powdered SaCo buttermilk, I haven't gone back…plus it's great to have in my food storage~

April 1, 2010 at 4:11 am

My boys LOVE waffles! My husband even bought me a waffled maker (the store waffles have skyrocketed). I will make these this weekend! My boys will feel so LOVED:)- Sadly, I confess, I've used boxed mixes before:(

April 2, 2010 at 5:26 am

This is the same recipe my mom made and I make for my family. They are so yummy!! I also have a large waffle iron. A girl shouldn't have to make them 2 at a time :). I actually make a large batch, under cook the ones we won't eat, let them cool and freeze them. Makes it easy to pull one or two out at a time or for my hubby to eat on the go. I just pop them in the toaster and they are good to go.

April 5, 2010 at 11:35 am

They look wonderful alright. With a fluffy sense of melted butter and sweet maple syrup :)

April 19, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Do you know if this waffle recipe works good in the Belgian Waffle Makers? Some recipes work good and some don't. Belgian waffles seem to be crispier and lighter than regular waffles.

Also . . . I now have 4 waffle makers (the round Belgian kind). It sure makes the waffle making go a LOT faster so that nobody has to wait around. With these, you pretty much only need one waffle too. They are very filling. I just watched for GREAT deals on them, and would buy one occasionally until I had 4.

April 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Merilyn,
    I think this recipe would work well in a Belgian Waffle iron. Let me know if you try it and how it works out.
    What a great idea to have 4! I bet that does go quickly. “Quick” can really be a blessing can't it!
    Have a great day!

May 7, 2010 at 2:13 am

Jamie,
    I tried this recipe tonight in my Belgian Waffle Iron. IT WORKED GREAT!! This batter is a little thicker than I usually like – so I added a little extra milk to thin it a little and they were so light and crispy. THE PERFECT WAFFLE FOR ME (and I LOVE waffles). Thanks for sharing your recipes :) Oh . . . and in the round belgian waffle maker the recipe made 7.

May 7, 2010 at 3:07 am

Merilyn,
    I'm so glad it worked out! Thanks for letting me know!

Sarah
    September 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I love your site and have made many of your recipes! These waffles look amazing and I have been dying to try them. I have been searching for a non-Belgian square waffle iron though. Can you tell me what brand your iron is? Thanks!

steph
    September 24, 2013 at 7:30 am

Can you please add an ‘F’ to the post title!?!

Julee Patterson
    September 13, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Just a note to tell you I love your blog. I made these waffles this morning with a homemade blueberry sauce and they were amazing. Rave reviews! Thank you for sharing. :)

Stacy H
    September 16, 2014 at 9:31 am

Jamie, if I do the vinegar to my milk, is that when I use the 2 1/4 c flour? Want to make waffles to go along with the peach syrup, but wanted to check this first. Thanks.

September 18, 2014 at 10:30 am

Stacy,
      Yes, you will want to use 2 1/4 cups flour. Best of luck to you!