Chicken Cordon Bleu

Chicken Cordon Bleu

This past Monday was MyHandsomeHusbands birthday. As tradition goes around here, I asked what he would like for his birthday dinner. Homemade Won Tons is what he requested.
Alrighty then…
 “I’ll just roll up the my sleeves,
 line up my kids at the bar to help me
and start building won tons.”
….is what I thought.
Little did I know my time would be spent searching no less than three grocery stores for Won Ton Wrappers.
Apparently there is a Won Ton Wrapper shortage.
I know….scary times are upon us.
What IS the world coming to?
This Chicken Cordon Blue has been one of MyHandsomeHusbands favorites for years. I figured the blessed recipe could act as understudy for the ever wonderful Homemade Won Tons.
There were no complaints.
This is a very simple and healthy way to make
Chicken Cordon Bleu.
I served it with Rice Pilaf,Glazed Carrots with Rosemary and a loaf of Fabulous French Bread I had hanging out in the freezer.
I hope YourHandsomeSpouse enjoys it as much as mine did!
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Yield: 6 Servings
Time: 10 min. prep + 60 minutes baking
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!
Chicken:
5 chicken breasts
1 C Italian bread crumbs
5  slices deli ham
5 slices Swiss cheese
Sauce:
2 cans cream of chicken soup
3 T sour cream
1 T butter
1. Fillet your chicken breasts. That means stick a sharp knife into the top of the breast and through the middle, cutting it into two pieces. This will give you smaller pieces of chicken to work with.
2. Cut your ham and cheese into 10 pieces as well. I usually purchase both my deli ham and Swiss cheese at Costco.
3. Place a piece of ham and a piece of Swiss cheese in the center of each slice of chicken and roll it up.
4. Place your Italian bread crumbs into a pie plate and dip each chicken wrap into the crumbs.
5. Place the breaded chicken into a sprayed 9×13 pan.
6. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
7. When the chicken in almost done combine the sauce ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until all ingredients are warmed through. Serve over the top of the chicken.

May 19, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I can't wait to try this! I LOVE chicken cordon bleu, but haven't found a great recipe yet and can't convince myself to buy the frozen prepared stuff at the store – too expensive and not that appetizing. This looks do-able and delicious. Thanks for sharing.

February 8, 2014 at 4:38 am

I am only partially thgoruh looking at your site. I was clearing out email and revisited the one where you told me about the blog. I absolutely love it! Everything sounds and looks divine! I am so excited for you. What a yummy adventure!

May 20, 2010 at 1:26 am

I can't wait to try this, it looks awesome!

May 20, 2010 at 1:54 am

The only chicken cordon bleu I've ever tried has been at military balls and they are usually bland and dry. I will have to give yours a try! Thanks for sharing!!

May 20, 2010 at 3:46 am

Jamie—I love your blog! It has become such a beautiful and fun blog in such a short time. You are doing great!!

Just wanted to mention that over at our blog we are giving away a FREE Bosch Mixer (yeah!). There are several ways to enter, I just thought maybe you or your readers would want to enter to win.

Good luck!

May 20, 2010 at 3:32 pm

This looks so great, thank you for sharing! And… as I'm not much of a cook, it doesn't look too hard, like… I doubt that even I could screw this up :P

xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

May 21, 2010 at 1:18 am

Yummy! I love the idea of filleting the chicken breasts (I hate pounding raw meat)! I think I will be making this for Sunday dinner. By the way, your garbage soup sounds much yummier than mine does!

TK Bird
    May 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Tried this recipe for dinner last night. I took it over to my mom's house and she said “Teri, you are such a fancy cook!”. Delicious. This recipe is one that I'll be making again and again. And now that I've seen the recipe for Cookie Dough Truffles, I know I'll be trying this one over the weekend. Jamie I love your blog.

May 23, 2010 at 2:27 am

I was planning to make your won tons this week and I had to go to 3 stores to find them!!! I finally found them at Fresh Market. They were sooooo good. I just kept eating them and eating them, not really keeping track of how many I had. So after dinner I did the math and I had downed 20 won tons! I probably shouldn't have just admitted that :) I love your recipes! Keep 'em comin'!

May 23, 2010 at 5:48 am

Annie,
    I'm so glad you liked them…and that you were able to track down some wrappers! I'll have to check at Fresh Market next time. Thanks for letting me know they turned out so well!

May 27, 2010 at 3:04 am

I made this for supper tonight and it was fantastic! I'll make it again. I'm making your cookie dough truffles for my sons birthday,as he isn't a cake guy. I just saw your new post for the Mexican rice salad! Sounds yummy! I'll make that this weekend! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!
    Lynne

July 30, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I tried this recipe last week and it was a huge hit! It was so simple…I couldn't believe it. Thank you

December 22, 2010 at 1:24 am

This may be a dumb question, but do you dilute the soup or just use condensed?

December 22, 2010 at 5:48 am

Hi Poky,
    That's not a dumb question at all. Just leave the soup condensed. Once it heats up with the butter and sour cream it will thin out quite a lot. If you would like it to be thinner after it has heated through just put a bit of milk in to thin it out. Good luck! Hope you love it!

February 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I made this last night when some friends came over for dinner and it was fantastic! So very yummy…thank you for all the wonderful recipes.

March 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I've been visiting this blog to improve my knowledge about it, and you know what? I can't wait to try with this recipe. I'll do my best try to create something delicious at the same time do I cook it. 23jj

TJ
    April 26, 2012 at 10:22 pm

making this tonight…can't wait to try it…has my house smelling DELICIOUS Thanks for sharing.

TJ
    April 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm

and the result is….MMM MMM MMM!!! two BIG thumbs up…my husband Thanks you as well…he can't get it to his mouth fast enough :)

Lorna
    November 4, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hi Jamie, I love your recipes! They are an inspiration most nights when I just can’t bring myself to being creative for dinner! One question – although there was a time when I LOVED using canned, concentrated soup for sauces, age is now upon me and is not very tolerant of the sodium and fat in those soups. Any recommendations on how to make the sauce without using canned soup? (simple as making a roux and adding some spice/herbs?) thanks again!!