Pork Chops with Caramelized Apples and Onions

Pork Chops with Caramelized Apples and Onions

Here you have a fabulous,
EASY!!!
meal for summer,
or fall,
or winter
 or spring.
Pretty versatile, eh?
I found this great dish at Mels Kitchen Cafe. She’s got a great collection over there and I find myself browsing her site regularly.
These fabulous Pork Chops with Caramelized Onions and Apples are a wonderful find. Mel baked hers in the oven, but since temperatures are rising (finally!!!!) this summer, I cooked mine in the crock pot.
They turned out great and were wonderful with
the Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic that I posted yesterday.
Whenever I find a recipe that tastes this good,
and is this easy
I give a little cheer in my heart.
A cheer for Delicious Food that doesn’t take up too much Time.
I don’t know about you all, but time around here is precious.
Get these tasty pork chops in the crock pot,
kick your feet up
 and read a few stories to your kids today.
Ok…if your kids are in their 30’s that
might be a bit tricky! How about a nice phone call?
It seems that every time I look up my kids are taller!
Does that ever happen to any of you?
Ok if you don’t have kids (or if they are 30) probably not.
But you get the idea….
Making Delicious Food with out spending too much time,
gives you the chance to hang around witness the
amazement of your kids getting taller.
That is something to be grateful for.
just having the time to take it all in…..
Pork Chops with Caramelized Apples and Onions
Time: 5 minutes prep + 4 hours cooking time
Recipe from Mels Kitchen Cafe
4 pork chops
3 granny smith apples
2 yellow onions
1/3 C packed brown sugar
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1. Slice your onions and apples as shown.
2. Spray the inside of a large crock pot. Layer the onions along the bottom, and then the apples.
3. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the apples.
4. Season the pork chops with the salt and pepper generously on both sides.
5. Place the pork chops on top of the apples, cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

June 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Yum! I love apples and onions with my pork chops! I probably never would have thought to stick them in the crock pot though. What a great idea! My daughter is only 3 but she is definitely growing way too fast for my taste. I'd love more time to hang out with her! Thanks for sharing!

June 9, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Apples, onions and pork chops. It's like a match made in culinary heaven. Great dish.

Nat Alea from OK
    June 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I have never had any good luck with my crock pot for cooking meat. Mine always turns out way to dry. Do you need to put any liquid in it and how did you get it to be a nice brown color? I can never get my chops to look this good. I may try it again though.

June 9, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Thanks for sharing another fabulous recipe! I can tell how much my kids are growing by how short their pants are getting! Thank goodness it is summer!

June 9, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Your pictures are so pretty, Jamie! Glad this meal was a hit!

June 9, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Nat Alea,
    The onions and the apples make quite a bit of “juice” as this dish cooks so you don't need to add any water. However, I almost always add a bit of liquid in with my meat when I cook it in the crock pot. Broth or water works well.
    Good luck!

Jamie Newman
    June 10, 2010 at 12:01 am

Well I know what we are having for dinner on Sunday! YUM! I've had some pork chops in the freezer for a few weeks and I've been wondering what to do with them so this will be perfect.

August 3, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I would like to say that you really made my day, it's wonderful when you just look around the web
    and find something like this, reminds me of that ''How to make a dinner for a romantic…'' by Elsa Thomas,
    you're a wonderful writer let me tell you!!! ñ_ñ

James Maverick (maverickhunterjames@gmail.com)
    3453 Rardin Drive
    San Mateo, CA 94403
    Project Manager
    650-627-8033

January 20, 2011 at 6:27 pm

just popped this in my crock pot!!! my husband has been begging for pork and apples. . .

June 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

This is TO DIE FOR!! Our new favorite dinner here at The NuttHouse! DO NOT add any extra liquid to the crockpot. The onions and apples create enough. No need for a knife either! So Tender and Flavorful!! Shear Bliss! Thank you!

Theresa
    September 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

My family loved this dish, great Autumn recipe! The only thing I couldnt get right was the pork chops didnt brown up while cooking, so I had to take them out and brown them in a pan for a couple minutes. I had no complaints.

Tracy J Morrin
    October 12, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’m thinking you could quickly brown them first, before putting them in the crock pot. That may solve the visual appeal. I’m going to use Splenda brown sugar :)
    On my weekend list to try.. Can’t wait !

Alexandra
    October 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Do the pork chops need to be thawed? Or can you use frozen? These look delish!

October 16, 2012 at 6:31 am

Alexandra,
      Yes, the pork chops need to be completely thawed. Good luck! Hope you love the dish.

Bridgette Collins
    October 21, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I made these chops yesterday, seasoned both sides chops and browned them first and added 2 cubes chicken bouillon . These were WONDERFUL served over mashed potatoes with cream cheese and small amount shredded cheddar and roasted garlic whipped up with potatoes. This is absolutely my most favorite new fall dinner. Was very easy too!

February 7, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Doesn’t it?! I think that one is going to be my favorite one! We shall seeee! Another frined also suggested chicken tortilla soup. Adding that to my soup list! I’ve pinned several recipes on Pinterest for chicken tortilla soup, so I’ll have to use one them. Thanks, Breanna!

Amanda
    March 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I’m a BYU student right now and this was such an ez, affordable meal ! Loved it!

Sandy
    July 2, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Quick question. On the carmelized pork chops with apples and onions, Shouldn’t the crockpot be set to 4 hrs on high instead of low? Low does not seem like it will cook the meat thoroughly.

Denise
    March 31, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Looks yummy! Question for you. Do you use bone-in pork chops? If so, how thick of pork chops?!?! What size of crock pot do you use?

I’m excited to make these!