Fluffy Dinner Rolls

Fluffy Dinner Rolls

So I have been thinking lately.
“A dangerous past time, I know.”
 But, I just can’t help myself.
I’ve been dreaming and scheming and thinking of how I could make some really wonderful dinner rolls,
without taking up 3 hours of time. Yes, I know. An extremely intellectual topic.

There are two roll recipes already on the site that are FABULOUS, if I do say so myself. If you are looking for some knock your socks off crescent rolls that will feed a crowd (the recipe makes 48) then try these
HOLIDAY CRESCENT ROLLS You’ll be the hit of the party with these beauties.
CRACKED WHEAT FEATHER ROLLS are also wonderful. The cracked wheat gives them a great texture. There is a tutorial included in this post on making the rolls into a beautiful rosette shape. They turn out beautiful and delicious. Again, another crowd pleaser.
But sometimes, I just want something a little bit faster that still tastes delightfully delicious. And so I have for you these Fluffy Dinner Rolls. The recipe makes one dozen, perfect for a week night dinner. They take just over an hour to make, most of that time being rising in your warm oven, and then baking. So the hands on time is pretty short. Woo Hoo! MyHandsomeHusband said they tasted just as good as my Holiday Crescent Rolls. Hot diggity dog. Put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

Fluffy Dinner Rolls
Time: about 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: 12 rolls
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

3/4 C milk
4 T butter
3/4 C hot water
4 T sugar
1 t salt
4 – 4 1/2 C flour
1 heaping T yeast (I use active dry)
1. Pour your milk into a microwave safe container. These Pyrex glass measuring cups work fabulously. Add your butter to the milk and put it in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees. While the milk is getting nice and toasty, turn on the tap to get your hot water. Temperature is important to making these rolls rise quickly. If you add cold water, your rolls will are going to rise at a snails pace, and you’ll feel like cursing. We wouldn’t want that kind of thing going on….so please add hot water. I put my hand in the water to test it. You want it to be almost too hot to put your hand in.
3. Put your milk/butter and hot water in the bottom of your Kitchen Aid Mixer. Add the sugar and salt. Then add 2 C of the flour…let it mix for 1 minute.
4. Add the yeast. Turn the mixer on and add the rest of the flour 1 C at a time.
5. You have enough flour when the dough scrapes the side of the bowl clean. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. You need the plastic wrap to trap the heat.
7. Take a bit of butter and coat the inside of a 9×13 pan.
8. Spray your counter, or a cutting board with cooking spray. Lay your dough on top of it.
9. Take a sharp knife, spray it with cooking spray and cut your dough into 12 pieces. Make them as equal as you can….perfection is not necessary. What a relief.
10. Gently round them into balls, and put them in your buttered 9×13 pan.
11. Put the pan into your warm 170 degree oven. Let them rise for about 20 minutes or until they have risen an 1 inch above the rim of the pan.

12. Leave your pan in the oven and turn the heat up to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes. The 15 minutes includes the time it takes the oven to increase in temperature. If your oven takes a long old time….you will of course need to increase the time baking. Bake until golden brown.

13. Brush with a little softened butter.

Linda
    March 19, 2014 at 12:55 pm

:-( I don’t have a stand mixer does anyone know if these could be made by hand? If so how long would they be kneaded ?

Chris
      March 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Linda, I knead them approximately 3 to 5 mins by hand. Probably closer to the shorter time. I’ve never actually timed it. Hope this helps you.

Isabelle
    March 19, 2014 at 9:23 pm

I’m a couple years late to see this, but tried it tonight and it was fantastic. Thank you for simplifying our lives with your tasty time saver!

amy brown
    April 16, 2014 at 4:10 pm

this is my go to recipe for rolls. I’ve been using it for about 2 years now and love it. Thanks to Pinterest I have it saved on my “tried it will do it again” board. Thanks so much!

Julie
    May 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

These were awesome!! I made them for dinner tonight. I was using the oven to make meatloaf so after shaping I put them near the oven vent and they rose perfectly. Next time I will make them smaller and add a bit more sugar or honey. Thanks for a great one!!

Courtney
    May 28, 2014 at 3:13 pm

So i made these tonight and it just did not work for me. I halved the entire recipe, so maybe that could be my error. I had to mix everything by hand since I do not have a mixer. During the second rise, they went flat and were not like the shreddable ones in the picture. They were flat, dense yet spongy, and had a ton of CO2 holes after the second rise. This seems to always be my problem! I let them rise long enough, I developed the gluten blah blah. Can anyone help advise me what I am doing wrong?

Kevin
      September 21, 2014 at 11:03 am

When you get large holes in rolls like you describe, it is usually due to letting them rise in an oven too fast at too high a temperature. Fast is convenient, but letting the rolls rise a little slower allows the gluten structure to achieve a much better structure

February 10, 2015 at 1:56 am

Great insight. Relieved I’m on the same side as you.

September 22, 2014 at 9:58 am

I made these last night and they turned out exactly like the rolls in the picture. They were beautiful, delicious, and easy. Thank you so much!

December 23, 2014 at 10:28 am

When you first put the rolls in the warm oven(170) during that time is the oven left on for that 20 minutes or is it off?
    I want to try these they look soooooo good!

Chelsee
    December 31, 2014 at 10:45 am

This has been a go-to quick roll recipe in our family for years now. Just earlier this week though I wanted to try them crescent roll style for a turkey dinner we were having, and they turned out SO good. After the 5 minute dough rest I split into two balls, rolled them each out in about 12″ circles, spread 2T butter on top of each, cut into 12 equal triangles for each circle (24 rolls total) and roll them up. I set them on a buttered cookie sheet, let rise in warm place for about 30 minutes then bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. DELICIOUS! We loved the change up and who doesn’t love a good crescent roll, especially a quick one.

Carla
    January 14, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I have now made these rolls three times. Deliciously yummy each time. I love how easy these are to make. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is a keeper!

Christine
    February 5, 2015 at 4:24 pm

These rolls were fantastic! I used white whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour and they turned out just as fluffy and pretty as the pictures! Thanks for the great recipe!

Sarah
    March 6, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Oh my goodness!!!! I just took these out of the oven….And these rolls are delicious!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Ps. I made your french bread last week and it too was awesome!

Moggy
    March 17, 2015 at 6:02 am

Thanks for the recipe. Made these last night and they were very good. I did have to bake mine at least 10 minutes more than the recipe indicates, and I have a fairly new oven. I also had to use quite a bit more flour than indicated, but I’m used to baking so that wasn’t a problem (I have to do that with a lot of bread recipes). This will go in my ‘keeper’ file for when I want fresh bread in a hurry and don’t have time for all the rises.

Lorraine
    March 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I made this couple of times and it was delicious! The only thing is i always get the bottom of the bun hard.. I dont know what im doing wrong.. Please help!

March 30, 2015 at 6:17 am

Lorraine,
      Perhaps your oven rack is too low. I would suggest moving it so the rolls cook right at the center of the oven. Also, your ovens heating element may be hotter on the bottom than the top. (I have this problem too!) I’ve had a repair man come out to adjust it a couple of times. Hope this helps, Lorraine.
      Best of luck to you!

Lorraine
        March 30, 2015 at 7:08 am

Thank you jamie, I appreciate ur response.. I’ll put the rack at the middle next time.. :)

Chris
      March 30, 2015 at 8:47 am

Lorraine, just a suggestion:
      When I have this problem with breads, I use two pans together to make an air bake effect and that solves this problem for me. The middle rack (like Jamie suggests) will also help.
      Jamie, I love this recipe and use it all the time!

March 30, 2015 at 11:59 am

Chris,
        Great idea! Thanks for adding your comment!

Joan
    April 5, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Made these tonight for Easter dinner and they were fantastic!! I little large for dinner rolls – I might have to make 16 next time – but that didn’t stop my husband and I from eating two ham sandwiches on them – yum!!

April 8, 2015 at 6:09 am

Joan,
      So happy to hear you loved these rolls. :)
      All the best,

Angel
    June 18, 2015 at 2:09 am

Hi Jamie,
    Well I gave these a ago but nooooo… lol Then I read that that if kneading by hand I should rest it for 45min before rolling into rolls, then I read that using instant yeast I should less instead of a heap. lol, I’m going to get this right I know it! But in order for me to do this justice can you please tell me how long I must knead the dough by hand as I don’t have a mixer :( Been loving your ideas for years now and can’t get enough of how fresh, vibrant and easy. let’s not forget amazing flavours. May the angels always keep you and your family safe. Thank you for always inspiring me to keep the passion alive in my kitchen, Angel

Angel
    June 18, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Ok, what am I doing wrong??? It is still coming out like little dampers. They are heavy and fall apart like a crumble when you try to put butter on them. I have followed the recipe to the letter, I let the dough rest for 45 mins as I am doing it by hand, I only put in one level spoon of yeast, I put it in the oven for 15mins on 80 degrease then turn it up to 180 degrease for a further 20min. The only thing I think that could be wrong is maybe I am working the dough to much… How long would you recommend that I knead the dough for??? PLEASE HELP, I have done this three times now in one day and still not getting the results I want. I’m in a real pickle Jamie, Please Help Me :(

Chris
      June 19, 2015 at 7:37 am

Angel, I have been making Jamie’s rolls for several years now. I have made them using my KitchenAid mixer and I have made them by hand. Both ways, I made exactly, following Jamie’s directions, the same except by hand I kneaded for about eight minutes. I let the dough rest the 5 minutes before shaping into rolls. I put them in the oven to rise at 170 degrees for the entire rise time. I don’t go by time on the rise, I wait until they are risen to the top of my pan and then increase the temperature to the 350 degrees. I have used both metal and glass pans. The glass pan tends to leave the bottoms a little softer. Each oven is different so adjust the rise time and baking time for your oven. Hope this helps you. I’ve never had it fail me. I have used both active yeast and instant yeast, though I usually use active.

Angel
    June 18, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Also if the dish is too small could this also have an effect on the texture of the rolls?

Mrs.F
    August 16, 2015 at 11:26 pm

I made these rolls last night and they were soooo lovely soo fluffy and nice. THE best rolls recipe I tried so far.