Sugar Crunch Popcorn

Need a kid pleasin’
keep-those-little-hands-busy
kind of snack today?
You do?!
I’m so glad you came by today,
I have just the thing for you and your little ones.
Or for you and your big ones….
The tweeners and teens around here gobble this popcorn up just as fast as my little ones do.

This Sugar Crunch Popcorn uses very basic ingredients and can be made in about 15 minutes. It’s not gooey, like candy coated or caramel popcorn. It’s sugary and sweet and just a bit crunchy.
My mom used to make this all the time when I was a girl.
It was a standard Sunday Night treat.
Wilton or Americolor Food Coloring Gels will make the popcorn colors very bright and vibrant, but regular food coloring will work as well. The colors will just be a bit more subdued.
Hope you love it!

Sugar Crunch Popcorn

Time: 15 minutes + 10 minutes to set up
Yield: 4 quarts
Recipe from MyDearMother
1/2 C popcorn, unpopped
salt
1 C sugar
2 T butter
1/2 t vanilla
3 T water
1/2 t food coloring (use Wilton or Americolor Food Coloring Gels for the brightest colors)
This recipe turns out really yummy
if you let little guys or gals help make it.
If you see my little guys out and about and around the town…
don’t tease them about wearing girly aprons on their moms blog, ok?
We’re trying to foster confidence and high self esteem.
Thanks for your cooperation.
1. Pop your popcorn into a LARGE bowl and salt it just a bit. Set it aside while you make your sugar sauce.
2. Pour the sugar into a medium sized sauce pan.
Add your butter…
vanilla….
water….
and food coloring.
3. Stir it over medium heat
until it comes to a boil. Cook it for 1 minute at a nice rolling boil and then remove it from the heat.

4. Pour the sugary sauce over your popcorn.
Cover your bowl securely and then shake it baby.
Shake that bowl upside down and right side up and all over the town until the sugar sauce makes its way to all of your popcorn.
5. Let the popcorn sit for 10 minutes to set up and then serve.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and have a good one!

For more fun kitchen activities for kids click

July 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Such a fun recipe and those handsome helpers you have there are so cute too! Thanks for your great recipes.

July 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm

You have very cute kitchen help! I have been looking for a recipe just like this one. You have made my day!!! My big girl wanted to make it with her little charges. The little girls she babysits love to cook, and she wants to try something new.
    Thanks Jamie, your the BEST!

July 13, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Funny we used to make this popcorn for a Sunday treat when I was little too. I love it. We used to use all didn't kinds of flavorings to flavor the popcorn. Rootbeer was one of my favorites.

July 13, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I LOVE all these what to do Wednesday things for kids. It is so nice to have some new ideas! Keep them coming!

July 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to make this today or tomorrow. Me and the kiddos are having a bake sale tomorrow and this would be fun addition to add!

July 13, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Oh wow…my sister and her friend use to make something like this when we were kids (way back in the late 60's) My mom still has the recipe and I think it's about the exact same except I don't remember there being butter in it. I know the recipe is simply titled “sugar for popcorn”. :) I'm definitely going to make some of this!

July 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love making sugar popcorn & jello popcorn! So good! I love the bright colors you chose!

July 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

July 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Love this idea! I am so making it with my kids. Thank you!!

July 14, 2011 at 1:43 am

what cute pics. as I am addicted to popcorn, I know I'd love this!!

July 17, 2011 at 8:11 am

Very nice pictures and explanation! :) LG Tina

August 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

pssst! I'm you're newest follower. I just pinned this recipe. My kids would love it! thanks for sharing! http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

September 12, 2011 at 2:21 am

just a quick note to tell you I LOVED this recipe and have used it many many times now. I mentioned it on my blog today with a link back here! thanks, Maria http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/2011/09/with-special-love-note-from-pastor.html

October 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hi Jamie, this looks so fun! Just a quick question….how long does this last? I am having a party next week and would like to make it for a treat. I don't want to be making it that day, how far in advance can I make this so that it still taste great? Thanks Jamie!
    Jodie

October 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Hi Jodie,
    It is best eaten the same day…however it is still pretty darn good the second day. I have a friend who made several batches and took traveling to a family reunion. She said it still tasted good. So…there you have it. Good luck!

October 27, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Jamie!!!! I'll make it the day before then! :)
    Jodie

Julie
    February 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I just made a batch (divided into two colors) for the neighbor kids and they all love it!

Jennifer
    March 16, 2013 at 11:46 am

I love this recipe.. And the helpers are adorable!

February 8, 2014 at 7:28 am

I actually waentd to send a brief message in order to express gratitude to you for some of the fabulous tactics you are sharing here. My time intensive internet investigation has now been paid with incredibly good insight to go over with my two friends. I would tell you that many of us site visitors actually are very blessed to exist in a really good community with many lovely people with great techniques. I feel extremely happy to have used your entire webpage and look forward to tons of more awesome minutes reading here. Thank you once again for everything.

Maureen Nappi
    August 25, 2013 at 8:28 pm

would this work with splenda?

August 26, 2013 at 9:18 am

Maureen,
      I haven’t ever tried it with Splenda. Not sure how it would work out. Let me know if you try it and how it goes. Good luck!

Eric Morris
    January 8, 2014 at 11:06 am

I was wondering if you can swap the vanilla with other candy Flavorings (Candy Oils)to make many flavors? like banana, strawberry, cream, mint, etc. has anyone tried this?

sarah
    March 30, 2014 at 2:53 am

Thanks! I just made my first batch and its perfect! My nephews mexican themed birthday party will be even more colorful now!!
    Love the pics of your boys! Although as a medical professional, I feel i should point out that candy in the pan is a MAJOR burn risk for kids, so make sure you take extra care of any little helpers, and choose which parts they help, and which parts they watch.

Thanks again!

Sharon
    July 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I love this popcorn! I know people who make and sell it but never want to share their recipe. All I wanted was to make some for my daughter. We both love the sweet, crunchy goodness! Thank you for posting!! I know this is going to become a family favorite!