SocialBoost 728×90 ATF

Turkey Breast of Wonder (Crock Pot)

Turkey Breast of Wonder (Crock Pot)

So, I realize.

Dear reader.

That the month is May, Mexican food is on sale at the grocery store, people are worrying about purchasing a gift for dear old Mom, and the bees? Well, they are buzzing in the trees, you know.

And here I am sharing a recipe for turkey, with out a pilgrim hat in sight! It may seem a bit misplaced, my friends. But turkey doesn’t belong to November alone, does it? Especially this fabulous, couldn’t be EASIER (5 minutes prep is all you need), moist, tender, shred-able, Turkey Breast of Wonder. You could make it with a traditional side of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and serve it for Sunday dinner. You could chop it up and put it in this fabulous sandwich. You could shred it up and put it in this heavenly salad, and enjoy it for lunch. Which is what I have been doing with the leftovers all week, and let me tell you. It’s the lunch of champions. I think I could almost win a gold medal after eating it. No joke.

There is a great little Bakery/Sandwich joint down the street from my house (Kneaders, is the name) that makes the best sandwiches and salads with heavenly turkey that isn’t processed and sliced. This recipe reminds me a lot of the turkey Kneaders uses. Juicy, flavorful and perfect to go in all kinds of things.

Hope you love it. 🙂

Turkey Breast of Wonder
Time: 5 min. prep + 8-9 hours cooking
Recipe from my lovely sister Jen Willahan
***NOTE: Make sure you buy a turkey breast small enough to fit in your crock pot.***
***ADDITIONAL NOTE: If you don’t have a large enough crock pot, or don’t own one you can place the turkey in a 9×13 pan, cover it with the remaining ingredients, cover tightly with foil and bake at 325 for 3 hours.***
1 (5-6 pound) turkey breast
1/2 C orange juice (you could also substitute chicken broth)
1 (14 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
1 (1 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
salt and pepper

1. Make sure your turkey is completely thawed. I let mine hang out in the fridge for a couple of days after I purchase it frozen. Set it on a pan, so you don’t have juices running all over when you open up the bag. Cut a hole in the top of the bag and remove the packaging. Some turkey breasts come with a gravy pouch inside, be sure to remove it if yours happens to come with one.
2. Place the old bird in the crock pot.

2. Pour yourself 1/2 cup of orange juice.

Add one can whole berry Cranberry sauce

and one package Lipton Onion Soup mix.

3. Mix the ingredients together and pour them over the top of the bird.

4. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top. Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 8-9 hours,

or until a meat thermometer stuck into the center of the bird reads 180 degrees. You can see I got mine a bit past 180. Don’t like, turn me into the poultry police or anything, ok? It still turned out wonderful, juicy and moist.

5. Remove the turkey breast to a plate and cover it with tin foil. Let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then carve it (or shred it) up and enjoy.

GRAVY:
1. Pour the juices from the crock pot through a strainer and into a medium sized sauce pan.
2. Mix 4 T of cornstarch into 1/2 cup of water.
3. Bring the juices to a boil and add the cornstarch/water mixture a little bit at a time, stirring constantly until you reach the consistency you want. You may not need all of the cornstarch/water.
4. Add about half of a can of cream of mushroom soup. Stir it well and let the soup heat through.

Enjoy!

Karen
    October 14, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Oh wow! We’d are having this for dinner tonight and I can hardly wait! I used an 8lb bone in turkey breast ($1.98 @ my local store) and let it go for 12 hours as it was still icy in the middle when I prepped the recipe this morning. I have the turkey resting right now and I am making the gravy in the crock pot, cranked up to high and it should be ready when the mashed potatoes are. One thing I did, was I took my hand blender and blended up the onions and cranberries into the gravy–YUM! Not overly sweet at all, just very balanced. Give it a try!

Claire
    October 15, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Would this be just as tasty with a whole chicken instead of turkey? Picked up the wrong bird :-/

Pilar
    November 6, 2014 at 10:07 am

To those with onion allergies, first let me say it’s good to know my husband is not the only one! I have made this recipe a few times and I substituted a package of brown gravy mix. I omit the mushroom soup for the gravy, either leaving it as is or thickening a bit as directed. It works very well and my family loves it. Hope that helps.

Amy
      November 6, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Thank you so much!!! I know the McCormick gravy mix contains onions (and it’s all I could find), but I found a recipe for home-made gravy mix, and that seems to be working well. Cooking now. 🙂 Thanks again ~ fabulous idea, and very helpful!!!

November 7, 2014 at 8:24 am

Pilar,
      Thanks for sharing this great tip with everyone!
      All the best,

Erica
    November 10, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I am so excited,I will be cooking this for Thanksgiving dinner in an effort to free up critical oven space. Wish me luck

Kay
    November 17, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I found this recipe on Pinterest and I’m happy I did. I followed the recipe except I used chicken broth instead of o.j. and I did not add salt, I just added pepper. My turkey breast was 5.49 lbs and the internal temperature was 195 degrees after 4 hours on high. I was afraid that it was going to be dry. I turned the crockpot off and let it rest until dinner, 3 hours. The turkey was moist and delicious! My 14 year old son had three servings! I will definitely make this again, it was so easy and delicious. Thank you for the great recipe.

Alyssa
    November 20, 2014 at 11:01 am

Wow this was delicious!!! Turkey had great flavor, gravy was a DELIGHT!!!!!! I used a 3lb turkey breast. But husband wants me to make this for thanksgiving so I’ll have to use either multiple croc pots or figure out how to make this in the oven with a large sized turkey!… Any suggestions please!!!!

Alyssa
    November 22, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I want to make thanksgiving turkey this way!! Any measurements and/or timing would be greatly appreciated. I’m feeding 12 or so people, so I’m wondering how to get this to work in the oven 🙂 thanks!

sue craiglow
    November 25, 2014 at 6:01 am

the newer crookpots cook faster because the heating elements are in the bottom of the pots instead of around the sides . Icalled the company and ask why it cooked faster like my old one better Sue

sue craiglow
    November 25, 2014 at 6:05 am

the newer slow cookers have the heating elements on the bottom instead of around the sides. I called the company and ask why it cooked faster that was there answer. I like my old cooker better Sue

Kim
    November 27, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Jamie,
    I made the turkey breast of wonder for thanksgiving.It was the best turkey I’ve ever had! I have brined and basted for years and never had a turkey this moist! Thank you!

Aubree
    December 21, 2014 at 7:31 am

My husband is allergic to onions. Any ideas of a subsitiue for the soup mix? Thanks!!

Leanne
      December 13, 2015 at 9:29 am

Beef bouillion or Knorr Vegetable soup packet.

Panama City
    December 29, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Made this on Christmas day. It was fabulous. Loved the cranberry infusion. Made great gravy too! Thanks

Cassidy
    January 1, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Anyone know if the turkey breast can be frozen?

Meg
    April 6, 2015 at 5:37 am

Making today for tonight! It’ll have to cook on low all day while I’m at work so I’m hoping its not dried out 🙂 so excited! 3 months prego and been wanting to make this for a long time – we just couldn’t find a turkey breast until yesterday 🙂

April 11, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Followed the recipe to the letter. Very strange flavor combination. I will say the turkey breast was moist but I wasn’t crazy about the infused flavor. The gravy was okay and edible once the mushroom soup was added. I’ll eat this and use the turkey in soup and other recipes but I would never make this again with the same ingredients I think I could come up with better flavor combinations. The combination of the cranberry and orange juice after cooking was almost bitter. Not sure if I went wrong or if this is a bogus recipe.

Karen
      April 12, 2015 at 12:14 am

@Madelynn– this is a real recipe and I have personally made it several times and have had rave reviews. Orange and cranberry is a classic flavor combination–did you use fresh cranberries or canned cranberry sauce? While the blog is not mine, I am sorry it didn’t work for you.

Angelica
    November 12, 2015 at 2:14 am

Hi! I was wondering if it’s ok to pour the cranberry combination (after it’s cooked in crock pot) over the turkey breast and serve it that way or would I need to make a gravy instead?

Tandra
    November 20, 2015 at 6:41 am

If I have a 10lb turkey breast, should I just double everything? I’ve never done a turkey, so I’m nervous. Thanks so much!

November 24, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Hi Tandra,
      Thanks for your question. You’ll want to be sure you have a crock pot big enough to manage a 10 pound turkey breast. 🙂 If it’s too large and the lid has a hard time staying on, you’ll want to cover it well and cook it in the oven. Doubling the other ingredients for this size of bird is a good idea.
      Best of luck!

Misty
    November 24, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I was wondering if I can use a whole turkey, will it still come out the same?
    -Misty

Misty
      November 25, 2015 at 12:17 am

Do you also think this would be a flavor children wouldn’t like?

Susan Yakus
    April 7, 2016 at 3:16 pm

I tried this recipe and used a 7-8 lb. turkey. I have a Nesco roaster and set it at slow cook. This recipe says 9 hours, but mine was already up to 190 degrees after 4 hours, so beware! I can’t figure how they said 9 hours to cook this. That being said, the flavor is delicious and I added some broth to some Swanson’s gravy and it made it just delicious! I made mashed potatoes to go with it. Try this, you will like it! Just watch the time.

Carissa
    June 11, 2016 at 2:17 pm

I’m having the hardest time finding a frozen turkey breast, can only seem to find whole chickens or partial chickens… is it a seasonal thing? It’s the beginning of summer, lol. They didn’t have anything similar at our health food grocery store so I checked a conventional grocery store and still nothing 🙁