ps_menu_class_0
ps_menu_class_1
ps_menu_class_2

Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole

Hey there, ladies and gentlemen.

I wanted to let you local readers know that I am going to be filling in for Chef Bryan on the 4:00 news (channel 2) tomorrow (Tuesday September 18th). I’ll be making Parmesan Chicken with Spaghetti Sauce as well as Baked Zucchini with Mozzarella. Cross your fingers for me won’t you? Hoping it goes well and I don’t do anything really embarrassing like sneeze on the food or trip with a whole pan of hot zucchini in my clutches.

These are the very real and serious concerns of my life.

No one wants to be known as  the girl who spilled hot zucchini all over the news anchor.

They really don’t.

Not even sometimes.

For you all, today. Every last one of you…I have a fabulous, saucy, meaty, cheesy, mexican style casserole of wonder. Because I know that’s most likely what you came here looking for today. A good family pleasing meal. Which is what this is. My kids loved it (minus one, trying not to hold it against him). You can put it together in the morning and bake it in the afternoon. Your can put it all together and pop it in the freezer for later (don’t bake it first). Lots of possibilities with this one. Hope you enjoy it!

Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole

***Note: This is a great freezer meal. Assemble the casserole according to recipe instructions, but don’t bake it. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and freeze. When you are ready to use, allow it to thaw completely and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Time: 20 minutes prep + 45 minutes baking
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
salt and pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can mexican stewed tomatoes
3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 T taco seasoning
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 t sugar
1 T butter
9 flour tortillas
3-4  C cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Into a large hot skillet place 1 pound ground beef, 1 chopped onion and 1 tablespoon minced garlic. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top, give it a nice stir

and let it brown over medium high heat.

2. When the mixture has browned and the onions are translucent add 1 can of diced mexican stewed tomatoes. If you don’t have diced tomatoes, just stick a pair of kitchen scissors into the top of your opened can and snip the tomatoes into chunks.

3. Pour in all three cans of tomato sauce,

green chilis and a can of drained and rinsed black beans.

Toss in 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning,

1 teaspoon lime juice,

1/2 cup sour cream and 1 tablespoon of butter. Give everything a nice stir and let the mixture come to a boil allowing all of the ingredients to warm up.

4. Remove the pan from the heat and spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.

5. Cover the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 a cup of the saucy filling. Lay 3 tortillas out over the mixture.

6. Cover the tortillas with one-third of the meaty sauce.

7. Cover the sauce with about 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Add three more tortillas, one-third of the meat sauce and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat these layers once more…

and there you have it, ma’am. (Or sir) A fine-looking casserole fit for hungry parents and children alike.

8. Cover it all up with some tin foil and bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout. Let it sit for 10 minutes once you have taken it out of the oven, then serve.

It’s great with Cilantro Lime Rice, lettuce, tomato, chips and salsa.

Enjoy!

1. Debbie says:

Sounds really good. I will try this tomorrow for dinner. Good luck with the cooking tomorrow.

2. Debbie says:

By the way, is it 1 can tomato sauce or add all 3? I’m assuming it is add all 3 at once.

1. Jamie says:

Hey Debbie,
      Thanks for catching my error. Yes, add all three cans of tomato sauce. Have a good one!

3. Karen Wolff says:

Just wanted to say good luck and wish I could see it-you’ll do great!

4. Dawn Eisenhauer says:

I would like to start receiving your blog please

5. lisa says:

jamie — so thankful that I found your website this summer! Have made some great recipes that friends have loved too so have passed your website on to them too. Just wondering if you had a quick way to transform regular canned tomatoes into mexican stewed tomatoes? thanks!

6. Misty says:

Would corn tortillas work?? I just can’t see myself (being mexican-american) eating enchiladas with flour tortillas :)

7. Natalie Tycksen says:

Jamie- We are so excited for you. Good Luck tomorrow. You will be great. Thanks for all the yummy recipes.

8. judy says:

hey can regular stewed tomatoes be used in place of the mexican stewed

1. Jamie says:

Judy,
      Yes, you can use regular stewed tomatoes. Just give the meaty sauce a little taste before you layer it into the casserole. If it needs a bit more flavor add a litte more taco seasoning. Good luck! Hope you love it.

9. Pat says:

Oh! Congrats, I am sure you will do fine. I really enjoy all your recipes and do actually try some. This one looks good and easy too. Good Luck tomorrow!

10. lisa says:

Good luck tomorrow. I may be crazy, but I didn’t see what temp. To cook this at. Is it just wondering350?

1. Jamie says:

Hey Lisa,
      Thanks for letting me know the cooking temp was missing. 350 degrees is indeed the temprature you need. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

11. Melissa B says:

Oh my…this looks so good! Mexican food is one of my favorites! =)

12. Sibyl Scott says:

I am going to be making this tonight—do you think RoTel tomatoes will work in lieu of the Mexican flavored tomatoes? Also going to be subbing corn tortillas for the flour—as I do not like the gummyness of flour tortillas when they get moist. But it does look yummy—

Sibyl

1. Jamie says:

Sibyl,
      Ro Tel tomatoes would work out well, as would corn tortillas. Good luck! I hope you love it.

13. Sibyl Scott says:

I am making the casserole as I type this—hate to let you know—but in your list of ingredients—you did not list the lime juice. I figured it out—but just an FYI.

Sibyl

14. Debbie says:

This was an instant hit in our house. Thanks for the great recipe!

15. Mike Smith says:

Hi Jamie
    Wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic site, you give so much information that one wonders if you ever need a cook book again.

16. Crystal says:

Jamie I just love your blog and recipes! This one is so great and the possibilities are endless! I added extra taco seasoning, water and cooked rice to the meat mixture. Also spread refried beans on the tortillas before layering. One very happy family indeed! Please keep the wonderful recipes of wonder coming!

17. Dewald Hattingh says:

Hi Jamie
    my family and I simply LUV your programs keep it up
    I will be cooking this meal 2 night for them
    Dewald

NS: when will you be visiting Cape Town [South Africa] like when you toured Italy ~:)

18. Shelby says:

This was the first recipe I tried from your site. Made it with the Cilantro Lime Rice. Both absolutely wonderful! Everyone loved it!!

19. Pat Williams says:

I fixed this tonite for company. Delicious! Everyone loved it! Thanks!

20. laney says:

OK this looked so good i had to try it for myself. i fallowed the instructions to a T. but for some reason mine seemed a bit soupy. And it didnt taste as I thought it might. It was ok but I really just didnt like it. Maybe I did something wrong.

21. Julie says:

I just made this recipe……excellent!!!

22. Stephanie O. says:

This casserole is currently baking in my oven!
    Glad I have found your site….Thanks for sharing….

23. Mrs. Turner says:

Hello,

If we would like to try freezing this, would we thaw it over night in the fridge before baking it?

Thanks so much!

24. Suzanne says:

This was easy and very tasty, although we think it would be better with corn tortillas. Also, two corrections: the print recipe calls for 3 cans of tomato sauce, but the instructions say to add one can. A bit of a disconnect there. Also, there’s no way adding only 1/2 cup of the saucy mixture on the bottom is enough. Definitely needs more. Thanks for sharing the recipe — entire fam-damily liked it!

25. Miranda says:

I never saw a reply about using corn tortillas instead of flour. Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

26. Audio began playing as soon as I opened this web-site, so annoying!

27. Jeanette says:

I’ve made this recipe twice now with corn tortillas (that’s all I can find in the country I’m living in) and it’s fabulous! It has become one of our favorites.

28. Catalina says:

I am freezing this casserole. Do I need to thaw it first before baking?
    Thank you!

1. Jamie says:

Catalina,
      Yes, you need to let it thaw before you bake. Good luck!

29. Nancy Brown says:

I would like to start receiving your blog. Thank you Nancy.

30. stefany says:

OK maybe I’m crazy but don’t see lime juice in recipe?

31. Teri says:

This may be a dumb question but I see sugar in the ingredients list but nowhere in the directions part. Where does it go? Does it go?

32. Rebekah says:

This will be dinner Friday night. Looks great! Good luck with the show.

33. Katie says:

i have made this dish a dozen times now and absolutely love it. it is so delicious! i use red kidney beans instead of black beans (just preference) and it is so yummy!