Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole

Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole

Hey there, ladies and gentlemen.

I wanted to let you local readers know that I am going to be filling in for Chef Bryan on the 4:00 news (channel 2) tomorrow (Tuesday September 18th). I’ll be making Parmesan Chicken with Spaghetti Sauce as well as Baked Zucchini with Mozzarella. Cross your fingers for me won’t you? Hoping it goes well and I don’t do anything really embarrassing like sneeze on the food or trip with a whole pan of hot zucchini in my clutches.

These are the very real and serious concerns of my life.

No one wants to be known as  the girl who spilled hot zucchini all over the news anchor.

They really don’t.

Not even sometimes.

For you all, today. Every last one of you…I have a fabulous, saucy, meaty, cheesy, mexican style casserole of wonder. Because I know that’s most likely what you came here looking for today. A good family pleasing meal. Which is what this is. My kids loved it (minus one, trying not to hold it against him). You can put it together in the morning and bake it in the afternoon. Your can put it all together and pop it in the freezer for later (don’t bake it first). Lots of possibilities with this one. Hope you enjoy it!

Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole

Time: 20 minutes prep + 45 minutes baking
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
salt and pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can mexican stewed tomatoes
3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 1/2 T taco seasoning
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 t sugar
1 T butter
9 flour tortillas
3-4  C cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Into a large hot skillet place 1 pound ground beef, 1 chopped onion and 1 tablespoon minced garlic. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top, give it a nice stir

and let it brown over medium high heat.

2. When the mixture has browned and the onions are translucent add 1 can of diced mexican stewed tomatoes. If you don’t have diced tomatoes, just stick a pair of kitchen scissors into the top of your opened can and snip the tomatoes into chunks.

3. Pour in all three cans of tomato sauce,

green chilis and a can of drained and rinsed black beans.

Toss in 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning,

1 teaspoon lime juice,

1/2 cup sour cream and 1 tablespoon of butter. Give everything a nice stir and let the mixture come to a boil allowing all of the ingredients to warm up.

4. Remove the pan from the heat and spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.

5. Cover the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 a cup of the saucy filling. Lay 3 tortillas out over the mixture.

6. Cover the tortillas with one-third of the meaty sauce.

7. Cover the sauce with about 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Add three more tortillas, one-third of the meat sauce and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat these layers once more…

and there you have it, ma’am. (Or sir) A fine-looking casserole fit for hungry parents and children alike.

8. Cover it all up with some tin foil and bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout. Let it sit for 10 minutes once you have taken it out of the oven, then serve.

It’s great with Cilantro Lime Rice, lettuce, tomato, chips and salsa.

Enjoy!

Debbie
    September 17, 2012 at 3:32 am

Sounds really good. I will try this tomorrow for dinner. Good luck with the cooking tomorrow.

Debbie
    September 17, 2012 at 3:46 am

By the way, is it 1 can tomato sauce or add all 3? I’m assuming it is add all 3 at once.

September 17, 2012 at 6:09 am

Hey Debbie,
      Thanks for catching my error. Yes, add all three cans of tomato sauce. Have a good one!

Karen Wolff
    September 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

Just wanted to say good luck and wish I could see it-you’ll do great!

Dawn Eisenhauer
    September 17, 2012 at 10:27 am

I would like to start receiving your blog please

lisa
    September 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

jamie — so thankful that I found your website this summer! Have made some great recipes that friends have loved too so have passed your website on to them too. Just wondering if you had a quick way to transform regular canned tomatoes into mexican stewed tomatoes? thanks!

Misty
    September 17, 2012 at 11:38 am

Would corn tortillas work?? I just can’t see myself (being mexican-american) eating enchiladas with flour tortillas :)

Natalie Tycksen
    September 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Jamie- We are so excited for you. Good Luck tomorrow. You will be great. Thanks for all the yummy recipes.

judy
    September 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm

hey can regular stewed tomatoes be used in place of the mexican stewed

September 18, 2012 at 6:35 am

Judy,
      Yes, you can use regular stewed tomatoes. Just give the meaty sauce a little taste before you layer it into the casserole. If it needs a bit more flavor add a litte more taco seasoning. Good luck! Hope you love it.

September 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Oh! Congrats, I am sure you will do fine. I really enjoy all your recipes and do actually try some. This one looks good and easy too. Good Luck tomorrow!

lisa
    September 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Good luck tomorrow. I may be crazy, but I didn’t see what temp. To cook this at. Is it just wondering350?

September 18, 2012 at 6:33 am

Hey Lisa,
      Thanks for letting me know the cooking temp was missing. 350 degrees is indeed the temprature you need. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

September 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Oh my…this looks so good! Mexican food is one of my favorites! =)

Sibyl Scott
    September 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

I am going to be making this tonight—do you think RoTel tomatoes will work in lieu of the Mexican flavored tomatoes? Also going to be subbing corn tortillas for the flour—as I do not like the gummyness of flour tortillas when they get moist. But it does look yummy—

Sibyl

September 20, 2012 at 11:28 am

Sibyl,
      Ro Tel tomatoes would work out well, as would corn tortillas. Good luck! I hope you love it.

Sibyl Scott
    September 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I am making the casserole as I type this—hate to let you know—but in your list of ingredients—you did not list the lime juice. I figured it out—but just an FYI.

Sibyl

Debbie
    September 22, 2012 at 2:21 am

This was an instant hit in our house. Thanks for the great recipe!

October 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hi Jamie
    Wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic site, you give so much information that one wonders if you ever need a cook book again.

Crystal
    October 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

Jamie I just love your blog and recipes! This one is so great and the possibilities are endless! I added extra taco seasoning, water and cooked rice to the meat mixture. Also spread refried beans on the tortillas before layering. One very happy family indeed! Please keep the wonderful recipes of wonder coming!

Dewald Hattingh
    November 22, 2012 at 3:14 am

Hi Jamie
    my family and I simply LUV your programs keep it up
    I will be cooking this meal 2 night for them
    Dewald

NS: when will you be visiting Cape Town [South Africa] like when you toured Italy ~:)

Shelby
    December 6, 2012 at 11:50 am

This was the first recipe I tried from your site. Made it with the Cilantro Lime Rice. Both absolutely wonderful! Everyone loved it!!

Pat Williams
    February 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I fixed this tonite for company. Delicious! Everyone loved it! Thanks!

laney
    April 11, 2013 at 11:08 pm

OK this looked so good i had to try it for myself. i fallowed the instructions to a T. but for some reason mine seemed a bit soupy. And it didnt taste as I thought it might. It was ok but I really just didnt like it. Maybe I did something wrong.

Julie
    April 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I just made this recipe……excellent!!!

Stephanie O.
    May 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm

This casserole is currently baking in my oven!
    Glad I have found your site….Thanks for sharing….

Mrs. Turner
    June 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Hello,

If we would like to try freezing this, would we thaw it over night in the fridge before baking it?

Thanks so much!

Suzanne
    August 16, 2013 at 7:14 am

This was easy and very tasty, although we think it would be better with corn tortillas. Also, two corrections: the print recipe calls for 3 cans of tomato sauce, but the instructions say to add one can. A bit of a disconnect there. Also, there’s no way adding only 1/2 cup of the saucy mixture on the bottom is enough. Definitely needs more. Thanks for sharing the recipe — entire fam-damily liked it!

Miranda
    September 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I never saw a reply about using corn tortillas instead of flour. Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

November 5, 2013 at 7:34 am

Audio began playing as soon as I opened this web-site, so annoying!

Jeanette
    November 20, 2013 at 4:43 am

I’ve made this recipe twice now with corn tortillas (that’s all I can find in the country I’m living in) and it’s fabulous! It has become one of our favorites.

Catalina
    January 20, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I am freezing this casserole. Do I need to thaw it first before baking?
    Thank you!

January 27, 2014 at 8:03 am

Catalina,
      Yes, you need to let it thaw before you bake. Good luck!

Nancy Brown
    February 6, 2014 at 8:20 am

I would like to start receiving your blog. Thank you Nancy.

stefany
    February 6, 2014 at 4:48 pm

OK maybe I’m crazy but don’t see lime juice in recipe?