Lasagna Soup

Lasagna Soup

Several months ago, my dear friend Heather called me on the phone. She informed my that while on vacation she’d visited a cute little shop that served the most amazing soup. It was Italian in flavor, hearty in texture, and had big fat Lasagna noodles in it. She loved it, knew I would love it, and thought you would love it, too. :)

Lasagna Soup…is what it was called, in fact. And what a great idea for a soup, right! Who doesn’t love the wonderful flavors present in Lasagna. A soup with this same flair sparked my interest, absolutely.

And so I searched a little bit online, tried a few recipes I didn’t love, attempted to make my own version I loved even less…these things do happen, more than you would imagine!

Then I came across this version of Lasagna Soup from Miss Paula Dean (thanks for the link, Kristine!).

Miss Paula and her Lasagna Soup did not disappoint. It really is wonderful, and tastes just like Lasagna…only soup-ier. You could serve it with these fabulous Gooey Cheesy and Garlic Rolls and a crisp green salad. Hope you love it as much as we did!

Lasagna Soup
PRINT RECIPE WITH PICTURE

Time: 45 minutes
Recipe adapted from Paul Dean

***Note: This soup is best served right after it’s prepared. The lasagna noodles will start to soak up the broth the longer it sits. If it gets thicker than you like, you can always add a bit more water or broth. If you have leftovers, store them in the fridge (of course!) and then add a bit of water to your container before you heat it up and serve. ***

1 pound ground sausage, or ground beef (I used sausage)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used some mini red and yellow bell peppers)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t thyme
1 T brown sugar
4 C chicken broth
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced stewed tomatoes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 t italian seasoning
1/2 t salt
7 lasagna noodles, broken up
1 C parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 C mozzarella cheese, grated

1. Into a large soup pot place 1 pound ground sausage, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, and 3 cloves minced garlic. Cook the mixture over medium high heat until the sausage is browned and the onions are translucent.

2. Add 1 teaspoon of thyme, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, 2 cans tomato sauce, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring the soup to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat and let the old girl simmer for about 20 minutes.

3. Find yourself 7 lasagna noodles.

Break them up into large chunks and add them to the soup pot. Let the noodles simmer in the pot until they are tender. Should take about 10 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese to the pot. Give it a nice stir and allow time (a couple of minutes) for the cheese to melt.
5. Remove the pot from the stove. Ladle it into serving bowls and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

Enjoy!

C.Fitzpatrick
    October 15, 2012 at 10:57 am

Yum…I know this soup taste as good as it looks…And would also pair good with corn muffins.

L Ward
    October 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

Is the parmesan cheese the powdered kind you sprinkle on spaghetti or the fresh kind?

October 16, 2012 at 6:34 am

L. Ward,
      I used grated parmesan cheese (fresh), not the kind that comes in a green can. Good luck! Hope you enjoy it.

P. Owens
    October 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

Did you use Italian sausage or country sausage?

October 16, 2012 at 6:33 am

P Owens,
      I just used regular bulk sausage, it wasn’t country or Italian…just regular Jimmy Dean Sausage. I would imagine the Italian sausage would give it a real kick, you may want to add a bit more water to the pot if you use it. I would love to hear how it turns out for you. Good luck!

October 15, 2012 at 11:13 am

I made this two weeks ago while we were having a cold snap… it was wonderful and very delicious. The rolls are a good idea, I’ll do that next time.

Jennifer
    October 15, 2012 at 11:34 am

What a GREAT way to use up those broken lasagna noodles that are always hiding in the box! Can’t wait to try it!

October 15, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I know what i’m making on Wednesday for dinner! YUM!

Lori
    October 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Just made this soup! It is fantastic and so easy!

October 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I made this for our dinner tonight and took some to friends who just had a baby. They live only about 10 minutes away, so I undercooked the noodles a little, and by the time I got the soup to their place–perfection! This was DELICIOUS, Jamie! Thank you for sharing it!

Jennifer
    October 15, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I just made this for dinner and it was FANTASTIC! My pantry is a bit bare so I had to scrounge and improvise, swapping prepared spaghetti sauce for the tomato sauce; used 1/2lb ground turkey and some spicy Italian chicken sausage; and added 3+ more cups of broth because I need this to feed us tomorrow night as well. Everyone, even my soup-averse 6 year-old liked it. The spicy sausage really made it shine, and it could easily be made to serve even more with a bit more broth than even I added. A great “budget” soup that really tastes indulgent!

CBP
    October 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

The hubby REALLY does not like thyme. Is it a big deal to leave it out?

October 16, 2012 at 2:23 pm

CBP,
      I think you will be ok leaving the thyme out. Maybe add a pinch of oregano instead. Good luck!

October 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Lasagna Soup is so awesome! I actually made it last night and we LOVED it. In fact looking at these pictures makes me want to go into the fridge and finish off the leftovers!

Debbie
    October 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm

This is a great soup! I have been making it for years.my husband came home from a business trip raving about the fabulous lasagna soup he had while away. I played around with it, and it has been a fav in our home for some time. I am glad you posted this! I love your blog! Have never been disappointed! Thank you!

Christen
    October 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

Absolutely amazing. My kids ate it and we didn’t have left overs. (my kids are 10 months- 6 yrs old and they are picky eaters!!) I’m totally making this and freezing it but not putting the noodles in it until I make it for dinner!!!

Chris
    November 14, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Dang! Dang! Dang! Gotta have some of this stuff!

Terri Taylor
    November 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

This looks great!!! Do you have a recipe was classic lasagna? I’ve tried from the box and I still haven’t perfect it yet! Thanks.

Mandy
    February 4, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I just made this soup tonight and it was AWESOME! It went over great with my family! It’s rich and hearty and just wonderful! I’ll be making it again!

February 7, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Your shells look so good, Laura, and the rpeice sounds fantastic! By the way, I’m co-hosting a new foodie blog hop on Fridays called Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home – I’d love it if you would come along and join in this Friday :)

Shannon
    September 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Her son also has a lasagne soup recipe-I have made it many times-healthier too!!

February 8, 2014 at 5:00 am

I’m finding these posts very usufel; I already do most of the things you suggest. Could you please do a post on canning using a water bath for us in the UK? I am wary of trying it in case I make a mistake in translation! I would like to be able to preserve my tomato crop, possibly with other vegetables, such as onions, courgettes, peppers and mushrooms as pasta sauce, or tomatoes alone to use instead of tinned tomatoes. I have a small freezer but it’s too small for this. Canning apple sauce would be good too. We don’t eat much jam, so I’m freezing pureed strawberries from the garden to use in smoothies but there’s no more room. Thanks.

M. Windham
    December 16, 2013 at 9:34 am

Does anyone know the calorie count for this recipe?

February 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Is chicken stock and chicken interchangeably? Can you substitute chicken stock for chicken broth? Thank you.

Angela Agee
    March 3, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Delicious. Added some fresh spinach to the recipe when I added the noodles.