Crock Pot Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Crock Pot Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Before we talk potatoes, I wanted to point you in the direction of my side bar and let you know I’ve changed out the linked photos from summer recipes to fall, and added a couple of picture links to two of my most popular recipe round-up posts, 10 Crock Pot Dinners and 10 Tasty Soups for your easy access.

Boy, I have a doozy of a recipe to share with you today.  Not only do these Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes taste fabulously buttery, creamy and flavorful, but they will save you time in the kitchen. This I promise, as sure as the sky is blue.  You can totally make these babies in the crock pot. From start to finish. This is not a joke. Would I lie to you? Good heavens, no. No need to boil them in water, steam up your kitchen and flatten your pretty hair do. No, ma’am and no sir.  You just cut the potatoes, toss them in the crock pot with a bit of broth and seasoning and let them cook away. When they are done you can whip them (or mash them) right in the crock pot. No need to dirty extra pans and no need to pour boiling water off the potatoes and into your sink!

I hope you make them! They really are a great little side dish that can be made without a lot of fuss. Everyone enjoys dinner time with out a lot of fuss, am I right?

Try them with these wonderful main dishes:

Crock Pot Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes from Jamie Cooks It Up_!

Crock Pot Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

***NOTE: This is a large batch of mashed potatoes! You can easily half the recipe with great results, or make the whole thing and reserve the leftovers to make Shepherds Pie.
Also, if you don’t care for roasted garlic, just leave it out it will still turn out great.***

Time: 15 minutes prep + 4-7 hours crock pot cooking
Yield: 10-12 servings
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

5 pounds red potatoes
3 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
1 t chicken bullion granules
1 C water
8 T butter, divided
1/3 C sour cream
1/2 C milk

IMG_6912_edited-1

1. Grab some lovely red potatoes.

IMG_6914_edited-1

Wash them well. Peel most of the outer coating off. If you don’t like the texture of a little peel in your mashed potatoes you can peel ever bit of the skin off. What ever suits your fancy.

IMG_6919_edited-1

2. Toss them into a 4-7 quart crock pot and sprinkle them generously with salt and pepper.

IMG_6917_edited-1

3. Place 3 cloves of garlic into the center of a square of tin foil.

IMG_6918_edited-1

Wrap that baby up like a big Hershey kiss…

IMG_6921_edited-1

and stick it in the corner of the crock pot.

IMG_6916_edited-1

4. Pour 1 teaspoon chicken bullion granules into 1 cup of warm water. Stir it in.

IMG_6920_edited-1

Pour the broth mixture over the top of the potatoes.
5. Cut 4 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and place them in random spots over the top of the potatoes.
6. Cover your crock and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8, depending on how fast your crock pot cooks.

IMG_6986_edited-1

7. When your potatoes are fork tender, remove the tin foil from the crock pot, open it and smash the roasted garlic with a fork. Add half of it to back into the crock pot. If you want more garlic taste, you can add a bit more after everything is mixed together and you have a chance to taste it. Best to start with a little bit first. :)

IMG_6987_edited-1

8. Pour 1/2 cup milk, 4 tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup sour cream into the crock.

IMG_6989_edited-1

Grab some hand beaters, stick them right in the crock pot and blend everything together…

IMG_6992_edited-1

until you have fluffy, smooth mashed potatoes. You can add more milk if they are too thick for your liking. Give them a taste and add more garlic, salt and pepper if you would like.

Enjoy!

IMG_7020_edited-1

September 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm

You are a genius, love this… thanks for sharing!

Megan
    September 4, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Yum! I just made some from scratch the other day the traditional way-I like this idea much better!! Do you think subbing in plain greek yogurt for the sour cream would change the flavor much? (or leaving it out all together?) I have a family member that can’t eat dairy-the butter substitute is easy, but not sure about subbing the sour cream-she’s not into all that tofu substitute stuff! :) Maybe I can have a version of the recipe for my own family and one that my sister can eat too! Love all your recipes!

September 5, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hi Megan,
      You can sub out the sour cream for greek yogurt, no problem. You could even leave it out if you like. Good luck!

September 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

What a fabulous idea! This would be great for Thanksgiving too!

February 8, 2014 at 2:03 am

I would not think you would need to alter anything LaNeshe, it is just nice to make this ahead and let it smimer together in the crock pot! Let us know how you liked it!

September 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm

These look INCREDIBLE!And so simple! Def. bookmarked!

Kathleen
    September 5, 2013 at 4:40 pm

The potatoes do not turn brown without being covered with liquid?

September 6, 2013 at 7:07 am

Kathleen,
      I wondered it they would turn brown as well, but they didn’t. Must have to do with the heat. :) Good luck! Hope you love them.

Tess
    September 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Jamie, I love your blog. Your recipes are always great but this one is bordering on the genius level!! Thank you, this recipe made my day!

October 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm

These are so good! I’ll never do it the old way again! Thank you!!!!

Jeanette
    November 18, 2013 at 11:14 am

I have a friend with sileac’s and they can’t have chicken broth. Is there another substitution that will work?

November 19, 2013 at 6:18 am

Jeanette,
      I would imagine that just using plain water would work out fine as well. Just be sure and taste them after you have whipped them and add salt and pepper to your liking. Good luck!

Ellen
    November 24, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Can you use regular potatoes instead of red potatoes?

November 25, 2013 at 6:14 am

Ellen,
      Yes, regular russet potatoes will work out great. Good luck!

Bonnie
    November 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm

If you cut the amount of potatoes in half do you still cook this for 8 hours?