Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup

I love a good bowl of soup, especially this time of year as the weather starts to change over and become cool and crisp. Goodness, the weather here has been golden and glorious. To celebrate its beauty this past weekend I washed all of my windows, top to bottom, front to back, inside and out. Isn’t that what you like to do on a golden glorious day? Alright, if I’m being truthful there are a lot of things that would have been more fun. But the way I see it, every window deserves to be washed at least once every few years (my dear Grandma would roll right over in her grave if she knew how I’ve neglected them!) These windows of mine have been in desperate need of attention as of late (at least 1 year late, truly) and so to washing them I went.

Now, hold onto your Windex…(I bet a few of you already know this) but WOW! The world is seriously beautiful when viewed through clean windows. And besides that, now I can really see just how glorious it is outside…cool, crisp and golden. Note to self. Wash the windows more frequently for a better view of your life.

And that is the gospel truth. Just a little tip from me to you.

This post is actually about soup, ladies and gentlemen. Creamy Tomato Soup with heavenly cheese Tortellini added right in. Man, it’s good. It has a rich flavor, with just the right combination of creamy and tangy. If you are a fan of tomato soup give it a go, won’t you?

Let me show you how it’s done… You, me and my gloriously clean windows of wonder.

PS…Halloween is this week! Sweet Home Alabama. Pass the chocolate, baby. If you are looking for something great to make for Halloween Dinner, click HERE. For Halloween games and treats, click HERE.

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup from Jamie Cooks It Up1

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup

Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
Recipe from the wonderful, talented Colette Braithwaite

4 (14.5 ounce) cans Italian Stewed Tomatoes
4 T flour
4 T butter, melted
2 t salt
pepper
1/2 t baking soda
2 C half and half
1 C chicken broth
12-24 ounces tortellini (I used fresh)

IMG_8809

1. Grab 4 cans of stewed tomatoes. I used Italian Style mostly because I love the added flavor, however the original recipe calls for plain.

IMG_8810

Pour the tomatoes into your blender.

IMG_8813

2. Add 4 tablespoons flour, 4 tablespoons melted butter…

IMG_8814

2 teaspoons salt and a dash or two of pepper.

IMG_8816

3. Blend it all together until very smooth. Should take a couple of minutes.

IMG_8818

4. Pour the tomato mixture into a large soup pot. Bring it to a boil over medium high heat, while stirring. Reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.

IMG_8819

5. Grab some tortellini. I used this fresh variety (from Costco) that comes in a 48 ounce two pack. I opted to add one package (24 ounces) which ended up being a bit more tortellini than some of my family members enjoy. I loved it with all of the tortellini (cheese and pasta are my thing, after all), but thought I would mention the small grumblings that occurred here.  Add however much you think your family will like.  Somewhere between 12 and 24 ounces should be perfect. 🙂

IMG_8827

Boil some water and add a generous amount of salt to the pot. Toss in your tortellini and let it cook just enough so the noodles are easy to bite through. This shouldn’t take long. Just a few minutes.

IMG_8829

Drain the pasta into a colander and pour cold water over the top. This helps stop the cooking process and keeps the tortellini from soaking up excess amounts of the soup.

IMG_8821

6. Add 2 cups half and half…

IMG_8822

and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to your soup pot. Give it a nice stir to combine. It will froth up on you a bit, don’t be worried. Allow the soup to cook and thicken, stirring occasionally.  Should take about 8-10 minutes.

IMG_8830

7. Add 1 cup warm chicken broth, stirring the soup to combine.
8. Add the tortellini just before serving and enjoy!

If the soup gets too thick add a bit more chicken broth.

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup

Jackie M.
    October 28, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’ve made a very similar soup recently that was also yummy and may I pass on a brilliant idea I had that really added a “wow!” factor?

I added between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup of prepared pesto sauce. I had some left in a (Costco) jar that I didn’t want to waste and it was amazing! Even my non-pesto-or-even-basil-liking husband loved it, and the sick friend I made it for said it was the best bowl of soup she’d ever had! 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 7:04 am

Jackie,
      That does sound good! Thanks for sharing your pesto tip. 🙂

Julee
    October 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Think you could use like a prego sauce instead of the canned tomatoes? I don’t have any canned at the moment….hmmm…??

October 29, 2013 at 7:04 am

Julee,
      I haven’t ever tried it with prego, but my thoughts are it might turn out to be super thick, as prego is already thickened. Good luck!

Nancy
    October 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I saw this come through and made it tonight. It was a hit! A new family favorite and so easy and quick to make! I did the recipe exactly as written. Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes!

October 29, 2013 at 7:02 am

Nancy,
      Great! Thanks for letting me know!

February 8, 2014 at 5:13 am

I love all your ab fab pics on Instragram and decided I neeedd to say hello on your blog. I’m making this soup soon! My boyfriend has been asking me to make something with kale. You design with your pics is beyond brilliant.

March 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Take it from an Italian, if you’re going to use fresh tomatoes, they gotta come from your gaerdn, straight from the vine to your kitchen, or fresh in season from the farmer’s market. It’s really ok and a lot cheaper to use canned tomatoes. Splurge on the San Marzano’s, most supermarkets carry that type, they’re often imported from Italy or Spain and make the sweetest and tastiest sauces. I like to add heat to my sauce as well, and my secret ingredient is sugar. One teaspoon per can used (28 oz size). I just love a simple tomato sauce with any kind of pasta, topped with that parmesan of course. Your tortellini look very yummy.

Holly
    October 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

Made it last night, it was fabulous!

Holly
    October 29, 2013 at 9:20 am

Made it last night, it was fabulous! Thanks

Cate
    November 4, 2013 at 6:19 pm

My husband and daughter absolotely loved this; very yummy! Will be making this again and again 🙂

Anna
    November 5, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Could you use crushed tomatoes? and then skip the first few steps…

November 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Anna,
      I think crushed tomatoes would taste great, but still need to be blended. You want a nice smooth texture. Good luck!

Judith
    November 6, 2013 at 8:25 am

I made this soup last night and we loved it! It is one of the best soups I’ve had! Thank you for all of the wonderful recipes and stories that you share.

Christine
    November 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Adding sun dried tomatoes, about 1/2 cup chopped, adds a great flavor as well!!

Jessica
    November 18, 2013 at 2:17 pm

This looks divine! Do you think you can substitute milk for half and half for a more healthy version?

November 19, 2013 at 6:14 am

Jessica,
      I haven’t ever tried it wit milk, I would imagine it would work out fine…it would just be less creamy. Good luck! Hope you love it!

Amy Krause
    January 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I made this the other night and it came out fantastic. GREAT TASTE!! I had made another recipe the day before and the whole batch curdled and had to be dumped. But your recipe worked great and was SO delicious! Very nice juxtaposition of silky tomato soup with the chunky and satisfying tortellini. Thank you so much. I made a 2nd batch and shared it with friends and they all loved it.

FRAN KIPPER
    December 15, 2016 at 8:37 am

I can’t find the print icon?