Hello there. I sure hope your Mother’s Day was groovy and you got to put your feet up and paint your toenails…or something really great like that.
For your viewing pleasure today, I have a great little dinner recipe. A good friend brought this yummy Spaghetti Pie to my house a few weeks ago, and holy cow it was good. It’s a nice twist on the regular spaghetti dinner. Spaghetti noodles are mixed with Parmesan cheese and butter, then spread out into the bottom of a casserole dish. Cottage cheese, a fabulous meat sauce and mozzarella cheese are layered over the noodles, then the whole concoction is baked until the the cheese is bubbly and golden. Love the taste, love the texture.
Hope you try it soon!
Time: 20 min. hands on + 20-30 min. baking
Yield: 7 servings
Recipe from the lovely Paula Bowers
***Note: This is a great freezer recipe. Assemble according to recipe instructions, but don’t bake it. Cover your pan tightly with foil and freeze. When you are ready to use it allow it to thaw completely and then bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
6 ounces spaghetti noodles
2 T butter, melted
1/3 C Parmesan cheese, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1 C cottage cheese
1 pound sausage (ground sausage like Jimmy Dean, works best)
1/2 C onion, chopped
1/2 C green pepper, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can Italian Stewed Tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 t sugar
1 t oregano
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Boil some water, salt it well and toss in about 6 ounces of spaghetti noodles. Cook them until they are slightly firm in the middle. Pour them into a strainer you have properly set in your sink. Run warm water over the top of the cooked noodles and set them aside.
2. While your noodles cook, toss the sausage into a hot skillet. Use a spatula to break up the sausage.
3. Add 1/2 cup chopped onion,
and 1/2 cup of green pepper.
Cook over medium high heat, until the sausage is browned and the veggies are soft.
4. Add a can of Italian stewed tomatoes,
a can of tomato paste,
1 teaspoon sugar,
1 teaspoon oregano
and half a teaspoon of garlic salt. Give it all a nice stir and set it aside.
5. Pour the spaghetti noodles into a medium sized bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the top of the noodles and stir it in with a couple of forks.
6. Whip 2 eggs well with a fork and add them to the noodles.
7. Toss in 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and toss it all to combine.
8. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and pour the noodles into the pan.
9. Cover the noodles with 1 cup of cottage cheese,
the meat sauce
and half a cup of grated Mozzarella cheese.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.