There is something especially comforting and wonderful about Texas Sheet Cake, am I right? A thin layer of rich, moist, chocolate cake is covered in a satiny smooth chocolate icing. It’s comfort food at it’s best. At least it qualifies as such, in my book. It comes together quite easily, using basic pantry staples and will feed a crowd.
Serve it warm from the oven with a scoop of ice cream.
Make it for a pack of hungry teenagers, you will make them ever so happy.
Bring it to your next book club meeting, back yard bbq or church potluck.
It’s quite simply…
a blissful chocolate delight.
Classic Texas Sheet Cake
Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 20 servings
Recipe adapted from my mother in law, Jill Eskelson Lee
***NOTE: This recipe freezes well. Once the cake has cooled completely and the frosting is no longer sticky, wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
2 C flour
2 C sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 C butter
8 Tb unsweetened cocoa powder
1 C water
1/2 C buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer, or large mixing bowl place 2 C flour, 2 C sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt. Toss it together with a fork to combine.
3. Into a medium-sized sauce pan place 1 cup butter, 8 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 cup water.
4. Heat the mixture up over the stove top. Allow the butter to melt and the ingredients combine. Then pour it over the top of your dry ingredients.
Beat it all until nice and smooth, should only take a minute or two.
5. Into a medium-sized measuring cup pour 1/2 C buttermilk. Add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk it all together with a fork until the egg is well incorporated.
6. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the large mixing bowl. Beat it for another minute to incorporate.
7. Spray a large sheet pan (mine is 12 x 17) with cooking spray and pour the batter into it.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. While your cake is baking, make the fabulous icing! Place 3/4 cup butter into a medium-sized sauce pan.
Add 4 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder and 6 tablespoons of milk. Heat the mixture up on the stove top. Allow the butter to melt and ingredients to combine. Should only take a couple of minutes.
10. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar and a dash of salt to the melted chocolate mixture.
11. Beat it together until smooth.
12. Pour the icing over the top of the warm cake.
Beautiful! Allow it to sit for 5 minutes or so…
Slice it and dig in, baby. It’s amazing warm from the oven.