I am really on a casserole kick as of late. Seriously, they are just the best for days when my family is running around in the afternoon to various activities. I can hear myself saying “dish yourself some of the casserole before you head out the door again, my people” and “there is wonderful sustenance in casserole form bubbling in the oven, dish some while I am driving so and so to this and that” or my favorite “please don’t eat that big pile of chips and candy (my twins boys favorite trick), there is a casserole of wonder waiting for you in the oven!” More often than not on busy days I end up popping one in the oven so it’s ready when they come home from school. It seems a little early to be eating dinner, but I’m always grateful to know they are getting something good to eat before they run out the door again.
This Cheddar Crusted Chicken Broccoli Casserole is great! It has an amazingly creamy sauce and is loaded with rotisserie chicken, broccoli, rice and cheddar cheese. The crispy coating on the top is the obvious star, who doesn’t love a nice crusty coating, I ask you. It’s great comfort food, my fiends. Hope some of you get a chance to try it!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Into a deep skillet place 2 Tb butter. Allow it to melt and add 1/2 C flour. Stir it together to form a roux (the pasty mixture you see above).
3. Add to the roux 3 C chicken broth, 1 C Half and Half, 1 tsp honey mustard and some salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. It should thicken up nicely for you, once it has boiled for a minute or two. Be sure to keep stirring.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add 2 C cooked rice,
3 C rotisserie chicken,
and 3 cups broccoli (I used frozen broccoli that I had steamed in the microwave for 3 minutes). If your broccoli is fresh I would steam it for a couple of minutes. Add 1 C sharp cheddar cheese and stir to combine all of the ingredients together. Give it a taste and add a more salt and pepper to your liking.
5. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and pour the mixture into it.
6. Cover it with 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
7. Into a large Ziploc bag place 20 Ritz crackers. Crush them into crumbs with a rolling-pin.
Sprinkle them over the top of the cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it is heated through and the top is golden brown and forms a nice crusty topping.
Serve and enjoy! Comfort food, people. Plain and simple. 🙂
Recipe adapted from The Seasoned Mom
Here are a few more of my favorite casserole recipes…