Hello there, everyone! I hope you have been enjoying a nice Winter Break with those you love. Today (before we discuss the Roast Beast) I am pleased to announce the winners of the amazing book “Wonder”. If you missed my review of this wonderful book, or are just looking for some great book recommendations, you can find both HERE.
The lucky winners (chosen at random) are…
# 183 Linda Kline
#43 Kim Shannon
I will be contacting you shortly to get your mailing addresses.
Now, let me tell you about the beauty, ease and deliciousness of this wonderful 30 minute meal. Soft french bread is topped with a creamy bbq sauce, layered with roast beef, sautéed garlic, peppers and onions and finally provolone cheese. The whole thing gets popped into the oven where the cheese gets all melted and bubbly…man, it’s good. It would make a fabulous easy dinner, a wonderful game day snack and is great for feeding a crowd. Thanks goes to my amazing sister-in-law Mary, for the recipe idea…and for feeding masses of people throughout our winter vacation together. 🙂 Love ya.
Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich Melt with Peppers and Onions
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
Recipe from my amazing sister-in-law Mary Ehrhart
5-6 mini bell peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T butter
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
1 loaf french bread
1/2 C Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
1/3 C mayonnaise (I used Best Food Light)
1 pound thinly sliced Roast Beef (deli meat)
8 large slices provolone, Swiss or cheddar cheese
1. Grab 5-6 mini bell peppers, remove the seeds and stem and slice them into long pieces.
2. Chop an onion into long pieces and well, and mince 3 cloves of garlic.
3. Into a large, deep skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil together over medium high heat.
4. Toss your peppers, onion and garlic into the pan and hit them with a bit of salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables (stirring occasionally) until they are crisp tender and the onions are slightly golden. (Should take 10-15 minutes).
5. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
6. Grab a nice, soft loaf of french bread.
Cut it in half-length wise and lay the pieces open on top of a large cookie sheet lined with tin foil.
7. Into a small bowl place 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce and 1/3 cup mayonnaise. Mix them well and then spread the mixture evenly onto the bread.
8. Lay 1 pound of Roast Beef over the top of the sauce…
Carefully lay the sauteed vegetables out over the beef.
9. Cover the meat and veggies with provolone, Swiss or cheddar cheese. (You could even use a combination of cheeses…yum).
10. Pop the pan into the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the sandwich has heated through.
11. Turn the oven to broil. Be sure to watch it carefully, you don’t want it to burn. Take the pan out of the oven when the cheese is bubbly and slightly golden in spots.
12. Let the sandwiches rest for about 5 minutes, then slice and enjoy!