Fresh Peach Syrup

Fresh Peach Syrup
Pocket

Last weekend I was able to get my hands on a bushel of fresh peaches, and man did I feel happy about it. Giddy, really. (Yes, I have a problem). We have been enjoying fresh peaches in our oatmeal, with cream, and just plain. It’s been fun to use them to try out some new recipes for you all as well. Watch for a new fantastic peach dessert recipe coming up on Friday.

Now, a word or two about this syrup. I had three main goals in mind when I set about making peach syrup. I wanted to come up with something that would pack as much fresh peach flavor as possible, I didn’t want the peaches to taste too “cooked”.  I hoped for something that would be fabulous over waffles, pancakes or ice cream. I was looking to give you (and I) a recipe we could make in bulk and then freeze for later use.  I made three test batches all with different added flavors and cooking methods. My family acted as taste testers and wouldn’t you know it, but the first batch turned out to be the clear favorite. Seven out of seven votes, in fact. It’s a nice thick/chunky syrup packing loads of fresh peach flavor with subtle hints of cinnamon and vanilla.

It is absolutely DIVINE poured over waffles (recipe here) with a bit of whipped cream on top. Divine, people. It truly is. It’s like peaches and cream on steroids.

On Sunday night MyTeenSonMark seriously ate 5 huge waffles slathered with Fresh Peach Syrup and Whipped Cream. He kept saying things like “Holy Cow, Mom! This is the best thing you have done for my in a LONG time.” and ” I would TOTALLY order this in a restaurant.” and “More. Give. Me. More.”

Those were his very words, ladies and gentlemen. I have tucked them in my heart to stay.

Now, let’s make some syrup!

Fresh Peach Syrup Jamie Cooks It Up!!!

Fresh Peach Syrup

***Note: This recipe can be doubled or tripled and stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.***
***Another Note: This syrup is DIVINE poured over waffles with a dollop of whipped cream on top.***

Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
Recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up!

5 peaches
1/2 C sugar
2 Tb corn starch
3 Tb water
1 Tb butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash salt
IMG_9854_edited-1

1. Grab 1 peach, peel it and take the pit out. (Tutorial on peeling peaches found here). Smash it up…

IMG_9855_edited-1

like this.

IMG_9851_edited-1

2. Into a medium-sized sauce pan place 1/2 C sugar and 2 tablespoons corn starch. Toss them around a bit to combine.

IMG_9856_edited-1

3. Add the smashed peach and 3 tablespoons cold water and stir to combine.

IMG_9860_edited-1

4. Heat the mixture over medium high heat, stirring occasionally and bring it to a rolling boil.

IMG_9861_edited-1

Allow the mixture to bubble up for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  It will thicken for you and lose the “cloudy” look it started with. See how it looks a little more gel like in this picture. That’s what you are looking for. Set the pan aside to cool for a few minutes.

IMG_9862_edited-1

5. Peel the remaining 4 peaches, remove the pits and lay them out along a large cutting board.

IMG_9863_edited-1

6. Chop the peaches into small pieces…

IMG_9864_edited-1

and add them to the cooked mixture.
7. Add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of salt. Stir it to combine, making sure the butter melts and it well incorporated.

Now, I really like chunky-full-of-fruit syrup…

IMG_9865_edited-1

but if that’s not your thing and you want a smoother syrup you could blend it up at this point either with an immersion blender or by carefully pouring the syrup into your standing blender.

IMG_9930_edited-1

Now, here is some good news for those of you who have peaches coming out of your ears and are looking for a way to preserve them. You can triple the batch…

IMG_9932_edited-1

and store it in pint-sized  freezer safe containers.

IMG_9934_edited-1

It should keep in the freezer for you for at least 2-3 months. When you are ready to use it, just pop it in the microwave and heat for 1 minute, give it a stir and heat in 1 minute increments until it’s warm and ready to eat.

Fresh Peach Syrup

Fresh Peach Syrup from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Karen
    September 10, 2014 at 7:50 am

mmm, heaven!!!!!! What all would you use this on?

Stacy H
    September 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

Ohhhhh. Thank you so much! I’ve been looking for a good peach syrup. I did something similar last week and put it on my french toast, but this will be better. I just know. Thank you!

Janet
    September 10, 2014 at 10:43 am

Just curious – a cinnamon question. Does it seem to you or other people that cinnamon doesn’t have the “zing” it used to have. Not as tasty as it was. Maybe it’s my taste buds?

September 10, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Janet,
      I haven’t noticed it losing it’s flavor. How about anyone else out there????

Mary H
      April 29, 2015 at 9:59 am

You may already have the answer to this but you are right. I don’t use the ones in the grocery store but use SAIGON CINNAMON. I get it at Costco – it’s a lot but I use it in my coffee every morning. It is great and – no, you are NOT crazy – just a connoisseur!!!

Jacqueline
      January 16, 2017 at 11:59 am

I know exactly what you mean. I, too, do not use store bought. I ONLY use Watkins cinnamon. Do the taste test. Put some on finger and taste it. You will notice a distinct difference between the store variety and Watkins. You can buy it on-line at Watkins Products or even Amazon. Good luck.

Stephanie
    September 10, 2014 at 10:47 am

What if you wanted to can this instead of putting it into freezer jars. Do you think it would be ok?? I can salsa and strawberry jam – this would be a great addition to the line up!

September 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Hi Stephanie,
      Thanks for your question. I wondered the same thing and did some research on line about it. I found that often times (not always) cornstarch is considered to be dangerous in canning. I know many people can apple pie filling that has cornstarch in it, with great success. However, I didn’t feel like I had enough information regarding cornstarch and peaches to make a safe enough recipe that would stand up to canning and not develop botulism. So, I opted to go with the freezing method. Hope this helps!
      Thanks!

August 29, 2016 at 4:49 pm

You can substitute Thick Gel for the corn starch for canning.

September 10, 2014 at 1:29 pm

This looks amazing! Four years ago I had the most amazing breakfast ever at a bed and breakfast in Anchorage Alaska and it consisted, among other things, of waffles with peach syrup. I’ve wanted to recreate it ever since but haven’t been able to find a good peach syrup recipe. Therefore, I am so excited to try this! Thank you!

cheri
    September 10, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I’m with Stephanie, I will try this recipe and can it. I will let you know how it turns out. BTW, did you know you can can in the oven? only waterbath items, not pressure cooked foods. leave your oven on at warm (170) then load your oven, jars not touching, turn up to 250, for 80 minutes. Voila. Thanks to Connie at Dusty, WA four star for this handy time saving tip!!!

Stephanie
      September 10, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Cheri,

I had no idea about “oven” canning! I’m going to try this out this weekend. Thank you!

Denise
    September 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Just read this, just made this, just ate this….DIVINE !!!!

BTW: thanks, Cheri, for sharing your canning in the oven tip. I want to try this sometime !

JoAnne
    September 10, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Jamie,can’t wait to find some fresh peaches so I can make this. Wish I could have had this recipe in early August when I purchased 4-crates of Elberta peaches. I find that almond extract works well w/peaches. I make lots of pies,to eat fresh & to freeze unbaked. Also, question for Cheri — I do water bath canning all the time. I am wondering when you say 80 min.in the oven, how many minutes would the recipe have called for in a hot water bath?? Ex: my pickled beets have already been cooked before putting in jars so I only need to boil 5 minutes, basically to seal the jars. Other vegetables or salsas call for 30 minutes or more. Canning in the oven would save so much time since much larger batches can be put in the oven than in a canner. Thanks.

Stacy H
    September 12, 2014 at 8:14 am

Just wanted to let you know I made this and it was absolutely wonderful. Can’t wait to serve it to my family!

Kathy
    August 16, 2015 at 10:10 am

I made this for pancakes. Delicious!

Diane
    September 4, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I made this today, and it is chilling in the refrigerator as I type this.

I doubled the recipe, except only used 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract (and I think next time may only use 1/2 a teaspoon). I also omitted the cinnamon.

I’ll definitely be making this again! It’s delicious!

Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Tami N
    September 16, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Tasted like peach cobbler over waffles, can’t wait to eat it again.

Cheryl
    January 9, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Just because you “can” can in the oven doesn’t mean you should. Do some research on the safety of any canning method before you try it, please.

Karen
    September 6, 2016 at 11:44 am

Mine is too thick. What would be best to use to thin it?

Terry
      August 22, 2017 at 10:54 am

I would add a little water, but once it’s hot again you may find it gets thinner

Trudy
      August 12, 2018 at 8:20 am

Too thick, added apple juice.
      Very good!

Kristina
    September 26, 2016 at 5:45 am

Would this be good as a cheesecake topping?

Doug
    March 25, 2017 at 11:00 am

This turned out wonderfully. I used frozen peaches and followed the recipe exactly. excellent! thank you

Cindy J
    June 1, 2017 at 12:21 pm

This looks wonderful! I was looking for a peach mixture I can mix into my homemade unsweetened yogurt and I think this may be perfect! I’m going to give it a try!

Terry
    August 22, 2017 at 10:52 am

I too have been blessed with over a 100lbs of fresh peaches from our local store and have experimented with many recipes; Balsamic Pickled Peaches, Peach Butter and Peach Syrup. I was researching how to store it when I stumbled on this site! The spices I used for my syrup was cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom. Amazing flavor sensation! I wish I would have discovered this site sooner, I could have frozen my syrups!
    Now back to canning and buttering up more peaches!!
    Terry