I love a great sheet cake recipe! They are so handy to take a long to a gathering, as they feed a large number of people…and really, who doesn’t love cake, truly. Especially one made from scratch, yes? I have several recipes in my archives that I love, including this wonderful Almond Butter Sheet Cake, this decadent Samoa Sheet Cake and my favorite of all favorites…Coconut Lime Sheet Cake.
This Cherry Pie Sheet Cake I have brought along to share with you all today is wonderful. The cake is buttery and rich which combines to well with the slightly tart (but mostly sweet!) cherries. If you are a cherry lover, I bet you will love this fun sheet cake.
Put it on your list!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream together 1 3/4 C sugar and 1 C softened butter until light and fluffy. Should take about 2 minutes.
3. Add 4 eggs, one at a time, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl so all ingredients are well combined.
4. In a separate bowl combine 3 C flour, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp baking powder. Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Mix for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
5. Spray a large cookie sheet (mine is 16 1/2 x 11 1/2) with cooking spray. I like to use this Bakers Joy that has flour in it. It works great!
6. Spread 2/3 of the cake batter into the pan and smooth it out evenly with a knife.
7. Carefully spoon 2 (21 ounces each) cans of cherry pie filling over the top of the cake batter.
Spread it out evenly with a knife.
8. Drop the remaining cake batter by spoonfuls onto the cherry filling.
Spread it out a bit with a knife.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
Like this! Allow the cake to cool completely.
10. Combine 2 C powdered sugar, 4 Tb milk, 1 tsp almond extract and a dash of salt. Whisk it together with a fork to until smooth.
Drizzle the icing over the top of the cake.
Serve and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable…
Recipe adapted from my mother-in-law, Jill Lee
Looking for more great sheet cake recipes? Here are a few of my favorites!
Thanks for dropping by today! Have a great one!