Have you ever tried making foil packets for dinner? I would imagine many of you have made them to send off with your sons and husbands as they head off to scout camp. However, I’m not talking about the kind of foil packets you throw into a camp fire. At least, not this time around. (Click here for a yummy BBQ Chicken Foil Dinner from my archives that is great to send along to scout camp.)
Today, I’ve brought a foil dinner recipe to share with you that tastes wonderfully sophisticated, gourmet even! Thinly sliced potatoes are covered with chicken that has been seasoned with lemon, rosemary, thyme, Dijon mustard and olive oil. Everything is wrapped in a foil packet and then cooked on the grill.
It’s so easy, friends! The chicken is super moist and flavorful, the potatoes tender and delicious. It’s a great way to serve dinner to your family as an easy week night meal, but nice enough for company if you so choose. Cooking dinner in foil packets makes for easy clean up as well. Less dishes to wash makes a happy cook, yes?
Hope you have a chance to try it!
Let me show you how to make it happen!
1. Grab about 9 small potatoes. I used small yukon golds, because they have such a creamy texture and don’t require all of the peels to be removed. Wash them well and peel about half of each potato.
2. Slice them as into 1/4 inch slices. You’ll want to be sure they aren’t too thick, that will make them take longer to cook through.
3. Take 4 large chicken breasts. Fillet each one by carefully sticking a sharp knife into the thickest portion of the breast and cutting it into two pieces. This will help the chicken stay tender and cook more quickly.
4. Into a small bowl combine 2 Tb olive oil, 1 Tb Dijon mustard, 1 Tb whole grain mustard, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp rosemary and the zest of 1 lemon. Mix well to combine and set aside.
5. Cut 8 (12 inch) squares of tin foil.
6. Place 1/8 of the potatoes into the center of each piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Place a piece of chicken onto the potatoes.
8. Brush the front and back of the chicken with the mustard mixture.
9. Cover the chicken with two lemon slices and drizzle with just a bit of olive oil.
10. Fold the left and right sides of the foil up and onto the chicken. Bring the top and bottom sides of the foil up into the center, pinching them together. Roll this portion of the foil down until it comes close to the chicken, sealing them inside the packet.
10. Preheat your grill to 350 degrees. Carefully place the foil packets on the grill with the seam side up. Grill for about 15 -20 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and the potatoes are fork tender. Be sure you don’t have your grill up to high, you don’t want the potatoes to burn before the chicken has cooked through.
11. Allow the packets to rest for 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Here’s the handy printable.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious